Hello Chicken Friends!

Cinnaminute

Songster
Aug 19, 2022
Georgia, USA
Hi, I'm Cinnaminute! I'm new here but I've been lurking around the forums off and on, reading up on info about chickens.

Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Yes, I'm new to chickens. I have had other birds in my life (Cockatiel, Macaw, Parakeet) so I'm not 100% new to birds in general. I first got my little girls June 5th this year!

How many chickens do you have right now?
I have 6 pullets (hopefully) that I got from TSC. I think they're almost 11 weeks old now (as I believe they were probably 6 days old when I bought them). Three are crested (Tilly, Moose, Cleo) and three are not (Zelda, Kiki, Stitch). Most of them look nearly identical, although Tilly is extremely feathery to the point that she gets hotter before everyone else and has the largest crest & Zelda is very golden.

What breeds do you have?
Easter Eggers.

What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
The chickens! They're wonderful creatures! I look forward to the eggs as well.

What are some of your other hobbies?
I love gardening (collecting seeds, planting seeds, enjoying the flowers and fruits/veggies I grew). I enjoy video games and game development (have some projects currently on-going). I also dabble in writing, various arts/crafts (which all go well with game development funny enough), and singing.

Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have four sweet ferrets, all aged 1-2 years, who are also looking forward to some free-range fresh eggs! I also own four tarantulas, some fish, and my Sheltie puppy who is currently about 4 months old. He loves herding my chicken so here's hoping he can help look after them but I am worried he might be a tad too much of a scaredy-cat. My family's three older German Shepherds should at least deter predators from the property while the Sheltie can actually sit with the chickens - he is quite obsessed with them. I am a little worried as I'm new to this property (we moved here a year ago) so I'm not familiar with predators besides the hawks (I live in Georgia). There are rumors of big cats and coyotes though but nothing caught on our outdoor cams so here's hoping there isn't any too close.

Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
I found BYC by browsing around learning about all the things that can go wrong when having chickens, haha! I have a bad habit of reading everything about the worst case scenarios and even the normal problems, then fretting and worrying. I probably have known about BYC from just before I bought my chickens, as I was educated myself on different breeds. I originally wanted Golden Deathlayers or RIRs but I ended up with my EE girls. No regrets! I finally decided to join the community now that my girls are getting close to laying age and the weather is getting nicer (so they're outside more often).

Here's a few pictures of my little ladies! 1st is Tilly. 2nd is Zelda. 3rd is Stitch hanging out on my shoulder. 4th is Moose fluffing off the rain droplets while the others dust bathe. Last but certainly not least, all 6 the day I got them. They were such fluffy butts. <3

IMG_20220819_161759985.jpg IMG_20220819_161809809.jpg IMG_20220718_130930101.jpg IMG_20220819_162245103_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220605_135345249_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom