Hello everyone! I've gotten myself into a predicament...

We don't have weasels or mink in my area so I have limited knowledge there.

I would look at other options.

A hoop coop MIGHT be able to be made mink proof and if you decide chickens aren't for you it can be converted into a greenhouse fairly easily.. The article below has links to the top 10 hoop coops. It's worth looking at.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/top-10-hoop-coop-ideas.76490/

We don't have weasels or mink in my area so I have limited knowledge there.

I would look at other options.

A hoop coop MIGHT be able to be made mink proof and if you decide chickens aren't for you it can be converted into a greenhouse fairly easily.. The article below has links to the top 10 hoop coops. It's worth looking at.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/top-10-hoop-coop-ideas.76490/
You are so blessed to not have weasels or mink. We that do have to have our coops and runs like fort knox. They are a chicken keepers nightmare. They can get through any hole greater than 1-inch, and many times they use the holes of other rodents to get in. They can take out several chickens brutally in minutes - not hours but minutes.

Thanks everyone! I'll try to send the coop back. It might take a little while, though. I'm pretty far away from them, so I'll need to schedule a time for them to come pick the coop and chickens up. In the meantime (probably a week or two) what should I do to make life better for the hens while in this tiny coop? I feel bad for them.

Thanks everyone! I'll try to send the coop back. It might take a little while, though. I'm pretty far away from them, so I'll need to schedule a time for them to come pick the coop and chickens up. In the meantime (probably a week or two) what should I do to make life better for the hens while in this tiny coop? I feel bad for them.
Since you are sending them back - if you feel badly, bring them inside. Do you have a way to do this?

Hi everyone! I'm new to keeping chickens, I actually just got my first this morning. I've spent plenty of time researching and wanting them, though.

I decided that before getting a big, permanent, and probably expensive coop with a decent-sized flock, I'd try one of those "rent a coop" programs. Basically you get a small chicken tractor, a few laying hens, supplies, and keep them for 6 months before sending them back. The idea was that I'd try keeping chickens for a little while, decide if it was for me or not, and then build a permanent structure for a large flock if it was. I settled for a package which got me two chickens (a Delaware and RIR if that matters) and a large coop to start out with. They assured me that the coop I'd get would be plenty big enough for two chickens for the summer. Well, this is what I got...

View attachment 3491982

The run attached to the coop measures about 4' by 3', and the coop itself is 2' by 3' excluding the nest boxes. This seems pretty small for two large fowl. The open wire run in front with the chair in it isn't a solution for all day, I've got hawks and a nesting pair of bald eagles nearby. I can maybe let them out in that run supervised for 30 minutes a day during the week, an hour and a half on weekends. The main coop does look much more secure against predators than typical small pre-fab coops, it's solid wood and the locks are too difficult for any normal raccoon to undo. What's the verdict from the chicken masters? I want to keep chickens, but not if they don't have enough space to be healthy and happy. They look alright for now, if maybe a bit more cramped than the chickens my friends have. If it isn't enough, I can probably return them and the coop in a week or two, or construct a more permanent large run around the coop. Thank you!
Welcome to BYC!!

I think weasels are only a problem if you imprison your chickens in a cage on the ground. My chickens all sleep around 20 feet up in trees, and whenever a predator attacks them they just scream loudly and fly somewhere else. It's rare for anything to climb trees after them though, maybe 1 predator attack every 3 months with 0 fatalities or serious injuries

No bird should live in a cage

Back
Top Bottom