Hello from a lurker!

Idess

Chirping
7 Years
May 14, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Hey everyone!
I've been browsing BYC for a long time now, but this is my first time posting :) I go by Idess online and I live in Northern Colorado with my boyfriend, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 betta fish, and of course, 6 chickens!
I was inspired to get chickens by Nambroth (a member here and a fellow artist) and got 6 chicks this last April, 2013! With the help of the amazing resources here my boyfriend and I built our coop from scratch and now are loving life with the girls!

We currently still have 6 chickens but not the same 6 we got as chicks in the Spring. We started out with 2 Golden Laced Wyandottes, 2 Blue Cochins, an Easter Egger, and a Buff Brahma. Unfortunately a 'perfect storm' happened one weekend in July when the chickens were out in the unfinished coop/run area and we were in the middle of re-building the fence around our property when a neighbors husky ran in and killed 2 of our favorite pullets :( Our favorite friendly Cochin was killed as well as our Brahma. The other Cochin ended up being a rooster (illegal in my area), and he ended up dying suddenly about 2 weeks after the incident. I ended up getting the rest of our chickens from local Craigslist ads, the first being an older Blue Ameraucana and a few weeks after that I brought home 2 young Speckled Sussex's. They're now all a flock together and growing big!

Right now our first chickens are about 8 months old and so far 2 have started laying and are giving us great eggs! I'm so happy to have backyard chickens and they make me smile every day. Thanks to you guys here on the forums and all the resources I was able to raise my girls healthily and happily! This is a great resource here and I hope to participate more in the community.

Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif
Did you know Nambroth (we call her "Fud Lady,") has a very popular thread about Derperella(the weird- salmon faverolles hen?

Welcome to BYC! Pretty chicken in your avatar :)
Thank you! That's Pickle, our pretty SS pullet! I love your avatar too, look at that fluff! I'm really enjoying our SS's, they're a great breed.

welcome-byc.gif
Did you know Nambroth (we call her "Fud Lady,") has a very popular thread about Derperella(the weird- salmon faverolles hen?
I'm not surprised; I'm quite a fan of Derp myself, haha! I'll have to search around for the thread! :)

Back
Top Bottom