Hello! I became a member yesterday! I’ve read through threads on the site several times during my chicken research, and I decided it was time to join.
my family first got chicken when I was pretty small, maybe around 5? My brother became the main chicken caregiver, and maintained a small flock until a few years ago.
I’ve decided now that it’s time to add chickens to my little barnyard. I think I’m going to get Speckled Sussex. I currently have a super guard donkey, and a few goats. I’m hoping to keep my chickens more or less inside my current pasture. They will have a coop and run built off the back of my barn, and I’m working on logistics for adapting my current fence to keep chickens in, so that they can enjoy the whole pasture during the day. Full free range might not be very safe here; the woods are full of foxes, the coyotes come through at night, and of course, there’s the road...But, i do want to give my hens some freedom!
I live in central North Carolina on an old farm. Hopefully someday I can get the place shaped up enough to just say, I live on a farm! It’s a work in progress. We have hayfields, 2 large veggie gardens, our small pasture, and a larger pasture that a neighbor keeps his lovely horses in.
I’m excited to become part of this community! Thanks for having me.
Central Carolina gal here too, born and raised! Good luck to y'all. Things come together in time for sure. Seems like there are always projects to be worked on 😆 We do have a lot of predators round here. The biggest issue for our free range tends to be hawks, eagles and owls in my experience. Fox, coyote, coons, skunks and all the others MOSTLY come when it's getting dark or at dawn unless they are super hungry. As long as they are put away safe before sunset in a secure barn or coop they should do ok. You will still have losses though. I would suggest you add some black chickens (hawks think they are crows and won't mess with the flock as much), a good tempered large rooster and some guineas to run with your Sussex hens. Helps keep them safe!

Central Carolina gal here too, born and raised! Good luck to y'all. Things come together in time for sure. Seems like there are always projects to be worked on 😆 We do have a lot of predators round here. The biggest issue for our free range tends to be hawks, eagles and owls in my experience. Fox, coyote, coons, skunks and all the others MOSTLY come when it's getting dark or at dawn unless they are super hungry. As long as they are put away safe before sunset in a secure barn or coop they should do ok. You will still have losses though. I would suggest you add some black chickens (hawks think they are crows and won't mess with the flock as much), a good tempered large rooster and some guineas to run with your Sussex hens. Helps keep them safe!
Thank you for the suggestions! I was actually thinking of adding a few guineas, because our neighbors have guineas and they have eaten all their fire ants! (Which we have tons of). I had never heard that tip about black chickens, I may just have to add a couple of them as well!!

Soooo.....you sent me down a rabbit hole with the black chicken suggestion! I made a connection, and I will now also be getting a few Ayam Cemani chicks to raise along with the Sussex. :D I’m pretty excited.

Back
Top Bottom