Hello from a Quail Newbie

Hey everyone, I'm Beth :)

View attachment 3759836I just got my FIRST flock about a week ago: 11 Coturnix Quail chicks. They are 2 weeks old and I'm loving every minute of having them. Enjoying the young indoor phase while it lasts (my family isn't quite onboard with the idea of a long term house-quail 😜).

Excited to be a part of the community!
Aren't quail the cutest little birds? Congratulations on getting a flock of quail! But your family are right that it's hard to keep quail indoors. They are VERY dusty birds. Outdoors, they are very hardy, managing both heat and snowy cold.

Here are some helpful articles that have helped me learn more about my quail, and here is a link to the Quail forum, where you can post questions and talk about your quail.

Coturnix Care

Incubating Coturnix

Beginners Guide to Hatching Quail

Quail Diseases and prevention

Predator protection for new & existing coops (really important! LOTS of critters love to eat quail and some are very sneaky and can get through tiny gaps!)

To look for articles on your own:

A. Use the SEARCH button, but use the Advanced Search choice, and select ARTICLES at the top of the box. Just enter your keyword(s) and scroll through your results!

B. I find it helpful to notice the rating and reviews. All articles are by BYC members, and all the reviews/ratings are as well. The ratings help a newbie like me sort the most useful and reliable articles.

C. You can bookmark the articles or posts you think you want to refer to again using that bookmark icon at the top of articles or posts. You can find them again by clicking on your own avatar and looking at the list of bookmarks you have built up!

Aren't quail the cutest little birds? Congratulations on getting a flock of quail! But your family are right that it's hard to keep quail indoors. They are VERY dusty birds. Outdoors, they are very hardy, managing both heat and snowy cold.

Here are some helpful articles that have helped me learn more about my quail, and here is a link to the Quail forum, where you can post questions and talk about your quail.

Coturnix Care

Incubating Coturnix

Beginners Guide to Hatching Quail

Quail Diseases and prevention

Predator protection for new & existing coops (really important! LOTS of critters love to eat quail and some are very sneaky and can get through tiny gaps!)

To look for articles on your own:

A. Use the SEARCH button, but use the Advanced Search choice, and select ARTICLES at the top of the box. Just enter your keyword(s) and scroll through your results!

B. I find it helpful to notice the rating and reviews. All articles are by BYC members, and all the reviews/ratings are as well. The ratings help a newbie like me sort the most useful and reliable articles.

C. You can bookmark the articles or posts you think you want to refer to again using that bookmark icon at the top of articles or posts. You can find them again by clicking on your own avatar and looking at the list of bookmarks you have built up!
Thanks! I haven't navigated this site a whole lot yet so I appreciate the links and tips for searching :)

And yes, my plan has always been to transition them outside so no worries there!

Back
Top Bottom