Hello from Alaska

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by alaskaleaths, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. My family and I have visited Alaska on a number of occasions and love it there. :eek:) We strongly considered moving there at one point but ended up moving to NW Montana instead. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

2. alaskaleaths

alaskaleaths Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2015
    We love Alaska and I always tell people when the ask about it they should visit at least once. We drove through Montanna the summer before last and loved it too.

3. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    South central Alaska and NW Montana are much alike in many ways which is why our choice came down to those two areas to purchase a house with land for farming and raising chickens. Ultimately we chose NW Montana for economic reasons but we still love Alaska and will very likely visit there again (and again). :eek:)

4. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I'd like to see your photos, have you tried uploading them? You have several posts now, maybe it will work.

Good luck!

5. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and [​IMG] - great to have you join us.

All the best
    CT

7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Hope you have been documenting your build with photos along the way, you can do a coop member page when finished?

8. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I don't know if you've chosen breeds yet, but Alaska Backyard Chickens has a list of recommended breeds for Alaska at http://akchickens.org/getting-started/recommended-breeds/. These same breeds also work well for NW Montana.

9. alaskaleaths

Nov 9, 2015
    Thanks. We have lots of pictures.

10. alaskaleaths

Nov 9, 2015
    I have. We received our order on Tuesday, red stars and whiting true blues. Plus I have the Rainbow special coming from Cackle in May.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by