Hello from Apple valley.

The run is 10x20 the coope is 4 Nesting bays and 3 resting bars (113.36" x 50.18" x 68.66")
113.36 long, 50.18 wide and 68.66 tall? Sounds like about 9.4' x 4.1', or a little over 38sf, right? Does that include the nesting bays? How much space do they take up?

The run is definitely big enough for 8 chickens, just be sure to add in more than one feeding station and plenty of obstacles.

Have you considered building your own coop and just buying that run?

Thank you all for helping pointing me out in the right direction. This is what in looking at so far. I'm planning in having a max of 7 hens 1 rooster.
Don't do it! It's no where near big enough for the number is birds you want. Not to mention the construction quality on those pre-fabs is terrible.
If you aren't that handy, consider modifying a shed into a coop and then attach a run to it.

113.36 long, 50.18 wide and 68.66 tall? Sounds like about 9.4' x 4.1', or a little over 38sf, right? Does that include the nesting bays? How much space do they take up?

The run is definitely big enough for 8 chickens, just be sure to add in more than one feeding station and plenty of obstacles.

Have you considered building your own coop and just buying that run?

I'd like to build my own but with work and family. I dont have the time to construct one the way I'd like it

Don't do it! It's no where near big enough for the number is birds you want. Not to mention the construction quality on those pre-fabs is terrible.
If you aren't that handy, consider modifying a shed into a coop and then attach a run to it.
I never thought of buying a shed and modifying a shed! Thanks I'll do that it will be much bigger and probably the same price as a prefab coop

I never thought of buying a shed and modifying a shed! Thanks I'll do that it will be much bigger and probably the same price as a prefab coop
And far better constructed. This is my old shed now coop.
IMG_20190725_145900262_HDR.jpg

I'd like to build my own but with work and family. I dont have the time to construct one the way I'd like it
You could get a shed and convert it. So, let me tell you a story...

My DH made my first coop using online plans. It's a very nice hutch, 4x8 with 8 external nesting boxes. Plenty bit for my first 6 chickens, the number I thought I would always have. Then I started learning about chickens, and how they may only lay for a couple years, so the next year I added 3 chicks. Although the run (4000sf) was plenty big, the coop wasn't working anymore, so he built another small coop 4x4 to accommodate the overload. They had free choice of where they wanted to be and that worked well. Then the next year I wanted to add 3 more chicks and didn't have the heart to ask DH to build another coop, so I bought a prefab, 3x3, to raise them, and thinking between all 3 coops they would have enough space. When they outgrew it, they moved into the other coops and the prefab was just used as sick bay or other segregation purposes. But, the girls were using the other two coops. Last summer I lost a four of my chickens, and that provided space for new chicks. So, adding 4 chicks should have been easy, but I ended up with 2 cockerels, and now I needed another coop for a bachelor pad. DH build another 4x4 coop for the cockerels. The little ones are 4 mos old and still sharing it, but I might have to separate a cockerel out into the prefab. Problem is, after two years, the prefab is falling apart. It served its initial purpose, but it would never serve as a long term coop. So, now I have 4 little coops, including the falling apart prefab, and in March we are finally going to do it right. DH will be building an 8x10 walk in coop, plenty big for all the chickens with room for separation when needed. AND it will be easier to clean.

I just told you that story because I'm not sure anyone ever ends up with the amount of chickens they start with. Not only is it fun to get new chicks, but if you want eggs in three years, you need to be adding to your flock. Then you have to decide if you want to cull the older non-layers, and many people do this, or if you are like me, you have to have housing for them. If you bite the bullet now, build a proper coop, you will save yourself so much trouble in the future!!!

Back
Top Bottom