Hello from bop NZ

Hello, any help would be appreciated 😊 long story

A few months ago, someone dropped off 2 girls and 1 drake in the caravan park that I live in, they have made themselves at home, people have been feeding them and they have about three acres to forage around in, with a wide river border.

They have been laying for a couple of months and a few people in the camp have been enjoying the free eggs, anyway as the weather has got hotter and they refuse to go swimming, I bought a little pool for them to paddle in, which they are. enjoying.

One of the girls went missing on or about the 7th of december, it took me ages to find her..... yep she is sitting.... problem is, she is sitting on the side of a very busy driveway under a very small hedge, against someone's cabin area, who wants her gone because they say it stinks, also they are about 20 pet cats in this park so I am worried about mum and eggs/bab
20231226_181837.jpg
ies, if any hatch.

my question is.... can I move her and nest to a safer place and if so when and how?

She had a lot of eggs 🥚 18 to start now only 8 remaining, lately we are finding broken eggs around, not far from her.

Yesterday, one of the neighbours chased all of the ducks away!!! , mumma duck was going back to her nest after one of her short breaks, it took her ages to come back to her nest, but she did. (She came back smelling terrible)

The other hen is laying ( 10 eggs so far, but in a different location) She is not sitting.
I know nothing about ducks and they are not mine but I am concerned 😕

Could I have some advice on moving them safely please?

Hello, any help would be appreciated 😊 long story

A few months ago, someone dropped off 2 girls and 1 drake in the caravan park that I live in, they have made themselves at home, people have been feeding them and they have about three acres to forage around in, with a wide river border.

They have been laying for a couple of months and a few people in the camp have been enjoying the free eggs, anyway as the weather has got hotter and they refuse to go swimming, I bought a little pool for them to paddle in, which they are. enjoying.

One of the girls went missing on or about the 7th of december, it took me ages to find her..... yep she is sitting.... problem is, she is sitting on the side of a very busy driveway under a very small hedge, against someone's cabin area, who wants her gone because they say it stinks, also they are about 20 pet cats in this park so I am worried about mum and eggs/babView attachment 3714078ies, if any hatch.

my question is.... can I move her and nest to a safer place and if so when and how?

She had a lot of eggs 🥚 18 to start now only 8 remaining, lately we are finding broken eggs around, not far from her.

Yesterday, one of the neighbours chased all of the ducks away!!! , mumma duck was going back to her nest after one of her short breaks, it took her ages to come back to her nest, but she did. (She came back smelling terrible)

The other hen is laying ( 10 eggs so far, but in a different location) She is not sitting.
I know nothing about ducks and they are not mine but I am concerned 😕

Could I have some advice on moving them safely please?
Normally, there would be a better process to this but since she's hated where she is and something's stealing eggs right out from under her, I'd get one person to help you get her, her nest, and her eggs asap. I'd think a laundry basket and blanket would work. She naturally should want to stay on her eggs, no matter where they are but bring as much of her nest you can too.

Thanks so much, I do have someone who has volunteered to help me, I have a coop ready and waiting , so we will try to move her when the other person gets home from work.

Leaving her in place sounds pretty dicey so maybe there is a small chance with moving her and the nest. Not a great situation either way, so fingers crossed :fl

Thanks so much, I do have someone who has volunteered to help me, I have a coop ready and waiting , so we will try to move her when the other person gets home from work.
Are you able to keep her shut in your coop for a couple of days? I'm worried she might go back over there as she's probably going to be upset being moved and might try to go back to where she was.

Back
Top Bottom