1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from Cleveland Oh

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by goldengirl16, Feb 22, 2016.

1. goldengirl16

goldengirl16 New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    Hello Everyone,
    I am really thrilled to be a member. I am on this site all of the time since we started our little flock. We have 8 road island reds, two bantam hens and one little bantam roo who thinks he is a big bad rooster. They are almost a year old and we are thinking of added more this year. I never thought having chickens would be so much fun. I love to sit outside and just watch them run around.
    We just rescued a silkie who was beat up pretty bad by her old flock. We have her separated until her feathers grow back, but I will need some guidance in figuring out how to best care for her.

I am looking forward to getting to know everyone and learning from all of your expertise.

2. peter98

peter98 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2015
    As long as you are feeding her food with a good amount of protein her feathers will grow back withing a couple months mabe, depending on how bad it is.
    Welcome to byc[​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What breeds do you have in your flock? Many breeds tend to bully and feather pluck Silkies & polish because they look so different and docile. The silkie may be attacked by your birds as well. If you only have one silkie you may want to keep her as a house pet. Check out " people with house chickens."

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Good luck with integrating your silkie in with the others, that can be a tricky process. There's a good article in the Learning Center explaining the "look but don't touch" method and I've had luck doing it that way.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Keep in mind drumstick diva's comment...the silkie looks quite a bit different than the other breeds you have so be prepared to step in if the other birds get too rough with her.

5. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!! Good luck with your new silkie, I hope all turns out well [​IMG]

6. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to our community. You said you were "thinking" of getting more chickens - thinking? You must be very special or in denial about chicken maths [​IMG] - personally, i think as rarely as possible, and when it comes to more chickens "need" is the word i use when explaining to my wife [​IMG].

Maybe you could introduce your silkie with your additional chickens to ameliorate the focus on her?

Good luck

CT

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. goldengirl16

goldengirl16 New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    We have 8 RIR and 3 bantams.

9. goldengirl16

goldengirl16 New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    LOL, I never thought I would get so much pleasure from watching the chickens!! Between the girls, two dogs and house bunny, I spend more time feeding the animals than I do my husband (and the animals eat better). [​IMG]

10. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by