Hello from Colorado!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chook Chick, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Chook Chick

Chook Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    Security, Colorado
    I am new to raising chickens, (with the exception of a bantam I had) seriously considering adopting 3 or 4. Need to check with my immediate neighbors first so they don't have a cow (sorry about the barnyard humor, I couldn't resist!) Lucky me, my neighbor four houses down has chickens and builds coops, he does a GREAT job. He also says he'll work with me on price too!

Needing advice on the best breed(s) for cold winter weather/hot summer weather, and egg layers.

Looking forward to talking 'turkey' with you folks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  2. silkieluver50

silkieluver50 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    Hello and [​IMG] glad you joined us and I do have chickens there called rhode island and they lay quite a lot of eggs they can also survive the winter but it mostly ddepends where you live because where i live theres barely any snow in winter

1 person likes this.
  3. Chook Chick

Chook Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    Security, Colorado
    I live in Colorado Springs....our winters can be very unpredictable. Sometimes we get alot of snow, sometimes just alot of cold with the wind blowing....other times just cold; then we can get up to 68 degrees in the middle of winter. So it's anyone's guess, which is why I need a breed that will do well in just about any type of weather!

Thanks for the response and the welcome! Btw, I think RIR's are beautiful!! [​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    1 person likes this.
  5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, chook chick, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Hope you find the breeds you like so many out there from which to choose. But that's part of the fun!

1 person likes this.
  6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome BYC from northern Michigan :D

7. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

1 person likes this.
  8. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

As for what breeds, each of us has our own favorites, which of course, we know are better than all the others. [​IMG]

For our area, I would reccommend a rose or pea combed bird that can handle the extreme temperatures that we get in our area. I am partial to American Dominiques........ I also have some EEs, which do well also. I have gotten eggs all winter long from both breeds. Dominiques are very frugal and efficient layers, they don't eat too much, and are very friendly. Visit my facebook page listed in my signature for more info about Dominiques.

1 person likes this.
  9. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...so glad you joined BYC. Hope you get your new coop and chicks soon :)

1 person likes this.
  10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by