Hello, from Daytona and Holly Hill, FL area

Mary in FL

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 20, 2013
We live in Volusia County, just outside Daytona Beach and Holly Hill, in a small neighborhood not zoned rural. We think we want to raise chickens because we know the eggs will be really, really good!

A county code inspector came around a while back to discuss a then-empty house in our neighborhood. My husband asked about chickens, and was told that we could have one (or two?) hens as pets, but was not very clear on that. I plan to get more information from the county ag extension office. There is a rural property, just behind one of our neighbor's house down the street, and we hear their roosters sometimes!

I've looked over this site before, and we will check it out further. I hope to someday be able to share some learning experiences!

Hope you can have chickens I love mine
welcome-byc.gif

Mary, we are neighbors,I live in Osteen near Walmart. Any how I have had a great deal of experience with Volusia county the

rule of thumb is it's far easier to get forgiveness than permission !! IN the area you describe roosters are a fact of life BUT your
roosters will yell back and forth usually all hours or the day or night. There are two schools of thought here, first feel out your
neighbors and if they're cool bribe them with eggs. If they gripe about the ones already there,they will rat you out to the city !
The other options are
A. don't have a rooster if you just want eggs.
B. If procreating for self sufficiency, implement operation undercover rooster; first build a good coop away from sight of passers
by then either take your chances with viable eggs (if you need some let me know ) or at dusk make sure the rooster is in a box
upside down milk crate will do for all but the biggest ones. A rooster will not croon unless he can stretch his head straight up .
but to breed hens he needs room to do his dance(really) and will croon all day.
Adam Putnam is the director at the FL dept of Agriculture, they are very much promoting small Ag set ups and if nothing else
will help get you started right and for free ! I've heard of them putting pressure on cities to grant individual variances ,this will
have to be your last play.Personally go the neighbor route,sometimes people will surprise you. RR

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Looks like you got some good advice here already! Enjoy the site and your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom