Hello from Ga pics of our soggy farm (pic heavy)

willkatdawson

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Ga
By now I'm sure you have all heard that in the Southeast we've had about 1/2 our yearly rain in a matter of 5 days. Our farm held up really pretty well compared to some others in our area. We have 3 creeks and a 3 acre lake that flooded worse than I have seen in my lifetime.

this gate and fencing were ripped from the ground
8175_dscf3124.jpg

we lost about 300 feet of field fencing in the pasture
8175_dscf3127.jpg

our "little creeks are no longer little
8175_dscf3126.jpg

the "french blue" bridge will need to be rebuilt
8175_dscf3131.jpg

you can see how "Ga red clay" can color our lake
8175_dscf3150.jpg

the water level was over 5 feet above the dock
8175_dscf3148.jpg

The horses were high and dry in the stable but they are not happy about being kept in the arena and not their pasture
8175_dscf3137.jpg

8175_dscf3141.jpg

Glad everyone is okay. I can sympathize with you - it's rained at my house for a week straight! They're calling for good chances of rain every day this week here too - bummer! I'd like to send it elsewhere to those who need it since we've had plenty. I have a creek that runs in front of our property and now it looks like a mini river with all this rain.

No we don't have flood insurance for things like fencing and really all in all we've been really lucky. We've had no loss of life and our house was not flooded in the least. Years ago my brother started a plant nursery on our property and he had mums in the fields. He did have ag insurance but when the flood took all the mums, ground cover ect.. away the insurance claimed the "act of God clause" and only paid .10 cents on the dollar of loss. We will have most everything repaired this weekend if it doesn't rain and well do it all over again next time it happens. It's always a great reason for me to go to my favorite store Tractor Supply..
celebrate.gif

You have a nice farm. Glad you and all your animals were ok.

Now I have a silly question, don't make fun now y'all, I'm not around horses, But why do you put those things over their eyes? Is it to keep flies off?

Oh and what is the use for the covers on their back, when they are just wondering in the fields, not getting ready to be saddled?

I know they look really funny with them but we have bitting gnats that just love the inside of horse ears. They will bite and leave scabs all inside the horses ears. When they are in their real pasture they have woods and tons of shade. The flies and gnats don't go into the shade so they can get relief for them there but the arena they are in because of the flooding doesn't have enough shade to keep them away. The masks they wear keep the flies from getting in their eyes. The flies can cause eye infection. The blankest you were asking about can be heavy to help keep them warm or a light weight sheet to keep flies off or sometimes after bathing they you might turn them out in a sheet to keep them clean.

Back
Top Bottom