Hello from Germany

I already skulked around BYC for years, but only signed up last year, as I said, a lot too do , 1,5 years I got to be a granny for the first time :eek: my oldest son and his wife had a son, “thanks” to covid I got to hold him for the first time when he was 6 months old :( I really envy my daughter-in-law parents, they can see him anytime they want, I only get to see him every 6 months, cos that is when they go on vacation and visit us for 2 weeks
When you get older, life is sometimes so funny, that son was the one loudly proclaiming he would never ever marry cos women were so expensive and kids even more :lau now he is the one cooking ( after work) and taking the little one out during the weekend so his wife can have some shut eye

I already skulked around BYC for years, but only signed up last year, as I said, a lot too do ,
Hi @MotherofOrpies , a bit late for a warm welcome (usually I don’t react to all newcomers, because most of them aren’t around for a long time). But seeing you in another thread, I was curious and I like to give you a belated welcome and a hi from 600 km to the west in the next EU country.

I hope you and your flock are doing fine now. Starting with chickens is often difficult. Many of us have to learn a lot before all is going well.

Reading about you difficult start with chickens I felt sorry. One of the problems new chicken keepers encounter are getting connected to a wrong seller. I heard al lot of this in the Netherlands too. Problems often occur with the first chickens you buy. The persons who trade in chickens are often doing this for a profit. Some even sell cockerels for hens and sick chickens. And more often stressed chickens kept in crowded small coops/runs.

For me a reason not wanting to buy new chicks/chickens and if I want more chickens, I choose to buy hatching eggs. Having broodies each year, natural breeding with a handful of eggs is the safest way to expand. If you ever want true Orpingtons I can recommend this in spring if you have the right setup.

Hello, nice to hear from you! I had to give up chicken keeping for a time, just got a new hip, the other also has to be done, no bending for 6 months, another couple of months to get the operated hip ship shape and then the next operation 😬 a friend is taking care of my chickens as long as I’m not able to look after them ( I fear, it may take a year til I’m back again) so right now, I’ve got no chickens 😢 if you are from Netherland, I’m also a Barneveld fan 😉 when I’m back to normal, I was thinking about traveling to Barneveld and maybe look at some chickens 😅 I’ve had so much bad luck with Orpingtons I’m not really eager to fail again, it is always about living animals, and it really gets me down when they don’t do well 😢

Hello, nice to hear from you! I had to give up chicken keeping for a time, just got a new hip, the other also has to be done, no bending for 6 months, another couple of months to get the operated hip ship shape and then the next operation 😬 a friend is taking care of my chickens as long as I’m not able to look after them ( I fear, it may take a year til I’m back again) so right now, I’ve got no chickens 😢 if you are from Netherland, I’m also a Barneveld fan 😉 when I’m back to normal, I was thinking about traveling to Barneveld and maybe look at some chickens 😅 I’ve had so much bad luck with Orpingtons I’m not really eager to fail again, it is always about living animals, and it really gets me down when they don’t do well 😢
I hope you heal fast. :hugs

You can hang out on BYC while you are convalescing. If you need to read up about anything with chickens, you'll find it here. There are also lots of fun threads that have nothing to do with chickens you'd find under the Random Ramblings forum. Get better soon! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom