Hello from Kentucky

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Brown Egg Project, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Brown Egg Project

Brown Egg Project Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    I have been using this forum for almost 8 months and finally decided to register. The knowledge gained from this site has helped me grow 16 - day old chicks from Cackle Hatchery without losing a one. For newbies this is by far the best site to research. It is 5 degrees here in Central Kentucky with the windchill at about 5 below. The girls are out in the run presently scratching around for the double dose of scratch I give them this morning. Some have already returned back inside the coop to consider laying an egg or warm up. I am averaging about 4 - 5 eggs a day with a new layer starting every couple of days. My girls had a birthday today and they are 26 weeks old. I would have never imagined how much fun this is. I would like to say Thank You to all of the knowledgeable people who contribute to this site. BYC people you are the greatest.[​IMG]

2. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    Let me be the first to say

[​IMG] *W*E*L*C*O*M*E* [​IMG]

What kind of chickens did you get from Cackle? That's where I got mine from!

3. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Yes it is a cold Ky. day!

Welcome

4. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

5. Brown Egg Project

Brown Egg Project Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Dandelion 007, I ordered Buff Orpingtons from Cackle Hatchery around the 5th of May and rec'vd my order on the 24th of June. Chicknmama thanks for the threads. I am new to this area and the people I know do not have Buff Orps. I would like to find a young cockerel or rooster for my pullets and maybe I can find someone within an hour or two that has one for sale. I live out in the country on 17 acres and did not know how much noise the girls would make so I have decided to go on and get a roo. I have a few that announce to neighbors a quarter mile away that they laid an egg so I thought what the heck. Their cows don't bother me mooing and crying for their calves that they take away so hopefully my hens and rooster will not cause a fuss.[​IMG]

6. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:You ought to have an easy time finding a spare roo from someone - everyone seems to have spare roos [​IMG]

I just hatched two Buff Orps - I am hoping both are hens, as I have a roo for them when they are older - if not, then I'll either have a buff orp roo for sale or he'll be dinner. They are nice chicks, I got the eggs from hinkjc on BYC - I had bought a dozen eggs, but only the two hatched - (I have to add here, that it was NOT her fault, they came beautifully packaged, it was just too cold to ship and the eggs didn't hatch - but most of them developed to a point. Live and learn - no more shipped eggs for me until it is warmer out.)

The babies I have are just a week old, but if one turns out to be a roo, and ya don't have one yet, I'll let ya know.

meri

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

8. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    [​IMG]

9. mustangruss

mustangruss Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome! Good to see another Kentuckian on here.[​IMG]

10. mario49

mario49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Eubank KY
    Quote:cool i ordeed mine from cackel hatchery 2
    i got white leghorns and Barred rocks and only lost 2 in shipping!
    the white leghorns like 2 fight!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by