Hello from Lockhart, TX!

PhantomChikkinz

Songster
8 Years
Nov 28, 2013
Austin, TX
Hey everyone!

I'm only about 5 months into owning/raising chickens, and have lurked around long enough. Time to join up already!

My name is Ryan, I'm 32, Canadian, and I started keeping chickens as pets after being turned onto the idea by a couple of very good friends. I gotta say, I had no IDEA what I was missing!

Currently, I've got Phantom, a gorgeous and incredibly sweet 5 month old silver partridge silkie rooster (started crowing at 8 WEEKS!), Polka Dot, a very unique looking 1 year old hen (apparently a sizzle, but with normal feathers), and a couple of comical 1 month olds (a black frizzle named Onyx, and a lovely little porcelain d'uccle named Pearl unless she turns out to be a boy. Hard to say for sure).

They're pets, they get along with the dogs, and the cat, and even though they have a big backyard, their coop is in the house (they get plenty of outside time, but they sleep indoors).

I'm very much looking forward to meeting you all, and getting to learn/share/discuss chicken stuff.

-Ryan

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
I like the idea of having them sleep indoors in the house, too many "wiley" coyotes and other stuff lurking around. Interesting flock would love to see pictures of them.

Can do! There's Phantom hanging out with the eggs a couple of weeks ago (neither ended up being fertile), a snap I just took of Polka Dot on my lap, and a shot of the babies being adorable earlier today. I'm pretty sure the frizzle is a roo, and that the d'uccle is a pullet. What do you guys think?

Hi and :welcome

Aww, cute pictures! I like the second one especially. :p
I don't really know anything about telling which ones are roosters, but you could post your pictures in "What breed or gender is this?" and you'll get a few more replies there.

Enjoy the forums!

Hello, and Thank you! :)

Those two little ones are just hilarious! About a week ago, the d'uccle figured out that she can, in fact, fly. Ever since then, the keep-away games have been even more fun for her. Hahaha.

They all get along really well, and Polka Dot took to the babies immediately (took them home when they were about 5 days old). Phantom is such a great adopted daddy, and always brings treats to the little ones, rather than taking them for himself. I had no idea that roosters did that. It's just the sweetest thing ever!

Definitely looking forward to my time here on the forum!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Love the pics. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, Sumi! I never pass on a chance to share my little chicken family with others :)

And yeah, Fierlin, I've heard that also! I'd like to think I had a hand in Phantom's extra sweet disposition. I've had him since he was 10 days old, and he's been a 'lap chicken' the whole time!

Back
Top Bottom