Hello from Long Island, NY

Steggy

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
Hi Everyone!
I have a beautiful Austrolorp that I hatched in October of 2012 along with 2 other chickens. I got the eggs from the sleep away camp that my children attend. 1 was a roo, so he had to go back to the farm since I live in the suburbs and I'm technically not even supposed to have chickens here. I kept the two hens, but sadly one passed away last summer from unknown causes. Roxy has been alone since. Although, I don't think she knows she's a chicken. She hangs out with my other pets and considers them her flock.
love.gif

Well, my husband and I decided it was time for more chickens so we recently acquired 3 chicks. 1 Delaware, 1 Jersey Giant and 1 Speckled Sussex. They're all supposed to be female - however, I am a little concerned with my speckled girl. She's only about 2 weeks old and it already looks like she has a comb developing. I am praying she's female or else he will have to go. Anyway, I'm excited about joining this forum and any tips on raising my little flock would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Sharon

images

Welcome to BYC!

So sorry your Roxy is alone! But yes, they can intermingle with other pets and live great lives. Congrats on the new chicks! If you are wondering if you have a cockerel on your hands, you can post his pic in the What Gender section here on BYC for some help with this...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

You picked some colorful breeds of chicks! If you have any questions, that is what we are here for. Make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about the hen you lost. Congratulations on your new chicks, Roxy should enjoy having some new chickens around eventually! Hope your Sussex chick is a girl, TwoCrows gave you the link to the What Gender forum for help with figuring the chick out.

Thanks All!
I will definitely post a pic in the other forum and see what others think of her. (I pray it's a "her") LOL
Here's a cute pic of the three of them. Can you stand how cute they are? I just love them.

Back
Top Bottom