Hello from longtime reader, new member in California Delta

JCaseyHammond

Crowing
Sep 6, 2020
California Delta
Hi everyone in Chickendom!

Rest in Peace, Sumi, and thanks for the practical advice over the years from Beekissed, Sally Sunshine, casportpony, and many others who have taken the time to write down their wisdom on this site.

Backyardchickens.com continues to be a go-to resource and I have referred many people to this site over the years. “thatcatchick” was my previous username on here in 2015. However, I didn’t use social media at all then except for over on cheezburger.com, where I posted captions of photos of my cats under the username “feline-ethnobiologist”. Now in 2020, I still come here to enjoy your comments and stories.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

My husband surprised me with a coop for my 50th birthday in 2016, followed by six Australorp pullets from Dare-To-Dream Farm. The original goal was to get 4 eggs a day with 6 chickens.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Let’s see - a couple dozen mixed layers of older vintage, with six new pullets. One of my original hens is still going strong.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Australorp, Easter Egger, Cuckoo Marans, Naked Neck and Penedesenca (another goal is to develop a heat tolerant foraging layer).

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Broody hens are cute! And I have worked in a lot of offices, let me tell you, no one punches a time clock like a laying hen! Sometimes I like to just look at how beautiful they are.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Writing and gardening. For years I have encouraged the people around me to take up animal husbandry and self-sufficiency skills.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I’m sort of an introvert and am perfectly happy just looking after my animals and writing stories, since I lost my parents before the pandemic. During the second lockdown of the pandemic, it became clear that social media is necessary to add new friends. So hello! 😸

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I wanted chickens in my garden, but didn’t know if they would get along with the cats, so I researched and found BYC. When one of the pullets went broody and wouldn’t quit, I bought some fertile green eggs for her to hatch. Then I saw how cute she was as a mother, how the cats left her alone, how sweet and beautiful was one of her cockerels, and that’s how I got my rooster Pierre. I have them still 🥰

And now I have a question for you!
What is one thing which no one told you about keeping chickens, that you had to learn from the chickens themselves?

Hi everyone in Chickendom!

Rest in Peace, Sumi, and thanks for the practical advice over the years from Beekissed, Sally Sunshine, casportpony, and many others who have taken the time to write down their wisdom on this site.

Backyardchickens.com continues to be a go-to resource and I have referred many people to this site over the years. “thatcatchick” was my previous username on here in 2015. However, I didn’t use social media at all then except for over on cheezburger.com, where I posted captions of photos of my cats under the username “feline-ethnobiologist”. Now in 2020, I still come here to enjoy your comments and stories.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

My husband surprised me with a coop for my 50th birthday in 2016, followed by six Australorp pullets from Dare-To-Dream Farm. The original goal was to get 4 eggs a day with 6 chickens.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Let’s see - a couple dozen mixed layers of older vintage, with six new pullets. One of my original hens is still going strong.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Australorp, Easter Egger, Cuckoo Marans, Naked Neck and Penedesenca (another goal is to develop a heat tolerant foraging layer).

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Broody hens are cute! And I have worked in a lot of offices, let me tell you, no one punches a time clock like a laying hen! Sometimes I like to just look at how beautiful they are.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Writing and gardening. For years I have encouraged the people around me to take up animal husbandry and self-sufficiency skills.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I’m sort of an introvert and am perfectly happy just looking after my animals and writing stories, since I lost my parents before the pandemic. During the second lockdown of the pandemic, it became clear that social media is necessary to add new friends. So hello! 😸

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I wanted chickens in my garden, but didn’t know if they would get along with the cats, so I researched and found BYC. When one of the pullets went broody and wouldn’t quit, I bought some fertile green eggs for her to hatch. Then I saw how cute she was as a mother, how the cats left her alone, how sweet and beautiful was one of her cockerels, and that’s how I got my rooster Pierre. I have them still 🥰

And now I have a question for you!
What is one thing which no one told you about keeping chickens, that you had to learn from the chickens themselves?
20201204_10372515.jpg

Back
Top Bottom