Hello from midtown reno

hipsterhens

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 5, 2014
Reno NV
Hi there! I live in Midtown and I've had chickens since February, my roommate actually found a chicken in an alleyway, and being the animal lovers that we are (we're both vet techs) we decided to keep it. We built a coop of some sort under our outside stair well, got 3 more chickens, and they have been there ever since, and in the front yard when I'm outside doing homework. With the cold weather coming up, I bought a coop from a friend, but it's not very ventilated, hard to clean, and just NOT what I really wanted, but I was desperate and poor. I'm in nursing school at UNR, and still working 1 day a week at a vet's office, but I need some chicken help! I really can't afford to buy a coop, and I really don't have the time to build one. Any Renoites willing to help a girl out with building one?? I LOVE my chickens, but I know that their environment isn't what it should be, and I'm starting to get worried for what's going to happen during the winter! Only one of them was laying this summer, and she has stopped. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Kelly

Welcome to BYC, Kelly. Glad you decided to join our flock. I wish I could help you build a better coop, but I live a very long way from Reno. I hope someone from that area will respond to your post and give you a hand. We have a lot of members from the Reno area and you can get in touch with them at https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=reno,+nevada. In the meantime, take whatever steps you can to make your coop as winter proof as possible. Maybe you can cut some ventilation holes in the upper part of the walls and then stack some hay bales around the walls to reduce drafts. Try to keep the coop as dry as possible. Feathers are great insulators. I've raised chickens were winter temperatures reached 30 F below zero and my chickens did fine. Moisture is a greater danger than cold. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

welcome-byc.gif

Good morning and welcome to BYC! Like Michael wrote, try checking in with your local folks on BYC for some guidance with a coop.

Hope school is going well for you and that you're enjoying your birds!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You might stop by our coops section for some possible ideas. Maybe you can make something work...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

Ventilation is very important for several reasons. Chickens need good air to breathe. Living an a coop with little ventilation is going to lead to respiratory ailments. And ventilation also helps to keep them warm and dry. Lots of moisture in all the pooping and the breathing and it needs to go somewhere or it will fall back down on the birds as water or frost. And frost bite can happen in temps above freezing. So keep them roosting as low to the floor as possible, and as much space between them and the ceiling as possible. 1 square foot per vent space per bird in the eaves.

How nice of you to rescue this bird! You have a kind heart. I am sure she appreciates that you got her some buddies too. Enjoy your wonderful flock and we do welcome you to ours!

Thanks everyone! I am sitting on my porch doing homework and the chickens are hanging out in the front yard with my guard dog Frankie. I think I'm just going to enlist some dude friends to help me build one, and pay them in beer. There are so many different types of coops! How does one choose?! I cannot wait until I own my own home and can build my chickens a palace!

Back
Top Bottom