1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from MO

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by goodpasture, May 31, 2017.

1. goodpasture

goodpasture New Egg

May 31, 2017
    Hey Everyone ... I am brand new to chickens or well actually haven't even got there yet. I've been reading up and asking questions for a year or two now but this summer I plan on starting. I am wanting to build my coop. I've looked at buying used but it is all nasty ugly junk for $300 or $400 and that just seems pointless. I want something nice and pretty and sturdy that will last a while and I don't mind getting my hands dirty. What got me here is a book i was reading, Backyard Chickens for Beginners: Getting the Best Chickens, Choosing Coops, Feeding and Care, and Beating City Chicken Laws. It specifically listed this site and said go there and click on "Coops" for literally thousands of user submitted designs with pictures, materials lists and schematics. I realize this is a couple years old but I can't see a site like this just dumping such an awesome resource for it's users. So am I missing the area for this or something??? I would really appreciate a link or something to the area where I can see these and get started building my coop. Hope to see ya'all around! Thanks

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    drumstick diva and CTKen like this.
  3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I'm sure the Coops section will keep you occupied for a good many hours!

I'd say that time is of the essence if you want specific chicken breeds. The longer you leave things, the more limited your choices.

Good luck with the build and feel free to post your progress on this forum for input as you progress - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance.9/

5. goodpasture

goodpasture New Egg

May 31, 2017
    WOW you all are more than helpful. Thanks and I'm sure I will spend much time here in the future. I only hope I can pick a design and just get started. I can't wait to get some chicks running around the back yard some day!Thanks again.

Leah567 likes this.
  6. Finge

Finge Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Hello fellow Missouri chicken owner! Good luck on your chickens

7. Arin's Backyard

Arin's Backyard Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2017
    Depending on how many chickens you're getting, you can make a coop yourself with only a few supplies. We actually got a spare kids' playhouse and put a roost and chicken wire over the windows to keep out predators. It works fine for our five girls :)

8. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens!!! Great to have you!

9. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Out Of The Brooder

Nother Missouri Chicken owner here .... I converted an old storage building for my coop . Something to consider maybe .

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    :welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by