Hello from MO

goodpasture

Hatching
May 31, 2017
Hey Everyone ... I am brand new to chickens or well actually haven't even got there yet. I've been reading up and asking questions for a year or two now but this summer I plan on starting. I am wanting to build my coop. I've looked at buying used but it is all nasty ugly junk for $300 or $400 and that just seems pointless. I want something nice and pretty and sturdy that will last a while and I don't mind getting my hands dirty. What got me here is a book i was reading, Backyard Chickens for Beginners: Getting the Best Chickens, Choosing Coops, Feeding and Care, and Beating City Chicken Laws. It specifically listed this site and said go there and click on "Coops" for literally thousands of user submitted designs with pictures, materials lists and schematics. I realize this is a couple years old but I can't see a site like this just dumping such an awesome resource for it's users. So am I missing the area for this or something??? I would really appreciate a link or something to the area where I can see these and get started building my coop. Hope to see ya'all around! Thanks

Hi and welcome to BYC. I'm sure the Coops section will keep you occupied for a good many hours!

I'd say that time is of the essence if you want specific chicken breeds. The longer you leave things, the more limited your choices.

Good luck with the build and feel free to post your progress on this forum for input as you progress - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance.9/

WOW you all are more than helpful. Thanks and I'm sure I will spend much time here in the future. I only hope I can pick a design and just get started. I can't wait to get some chicks running around the back yard some day!Thanks again.

Hey Everyone ... I am brand new to chickens or well actually haven't even got there yet. I've been reading up and asking questions for a year or two now but this summer I plan on starting. I am wanting to build my coop. I've looked at buying used but it is all nasty ugly junk for $300 or $400 and that just seems pointless. I want something nice and pretty and sturdy that will last a while and I don't mind getting my hands dirty. What got me here is a book i was reading, Backyard Chickens for Beginners: Getting the Best Chickens, Choosing Coops, Feeding and Care, and Beating City Chicken Laws. It specifically listed this site and said go there and click on "Coops" for literally thousands of user submitted designs with pictures, materials lists and schematics. I realize this is a couple years old but I can't see a site like this just dumping such an awesome resource for it's users. So am I missing the area for this or something??? I would really appreciate a link or something to the area where I can see these and get started building my coop. Hope to see ya'all around! Thanks
Depending on how many chickens you're getting, you can make a coop yourself with only a few supplies. We actually got a spare kids' playhouse and put a roost and chicken wire over the windows to keep out predators. It works fine for our five girls :)

Back
Top Bottom