Hello from Oakland!

confettifarm

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2019
Hello chicky friends! Super excited to be here!

My fiance, our poodle, and I are about to embark on our backyard chicken adventure. We've just moved from downtown to a more suburban spot with a big half acre -- ripe for raising chooks and growing veggies :)

Tonight we're headed to the local breeder to fetch 2x Buff Orpingtons and 2x Black Copper Marans. Here's our brooder setup in an old Ikea cabinet (many thanks to you folks for the mama heating pad, nipple bottle, and other ideas featured here).

Any setup critique is super welcome! We'll have the puppy pads for the first few days then swap over to soft hay once they're all settled. The sides are only 1 foot but we're adding chicken wire soon to keep the babies in.

Yay!

brooder.jpg

Welcome :welcome Glad you decided to join us! Congrats on your new babies :jumpy Be careful that they don’t eat the hay.... Nice use of an old book shelf :thumbsup
Thank you!!

Do you think they'll eat the hay? That's why I put the puppy pads down, just in case, but I guess putting that little pile of hay in there kind of defeats that purpose hahaha. It just looked so boring in there! Maybe I'll take the hay out for the first week and put something else in.. a mirror or something...

Thank you!!

Do you think they'll eat the hay? That's why I put the puppy pads down, just in case, but I guess putting that little pile of hay in there kind of defeats that purpose hahaha. It just looked so boring in there! Maybe I'll take the hay out for the first week and put something else in.. a mirror or something...

Mirror, lay a smaller tree branch in there for the chicks to jump on (after a couple of weeks you can raise it a bit), I always had a ‘stuffed chicken’ in a corner of the brooder and the little ones snuggled around it and under the floppy wings :)

Back
Top Bottom