Hello from Ohio

Marengoite

Songster
7 Years
Mar 1, 2012
Although I'm new to chickens, I'm not entirely new to poultry.

My kids have shown turkeys in the fair for 4H the last three years. My 13 yo son wants to do chickens this year, so we're giving it a try. We'll see how it goes.

I've ordered some Golden comets from the mill to see if we stand a chance in pullets. He's also wanting to do Silver Spangled Hamburgs for fancy poultry. We'll be picking those up from Meyer next month. Not sure if they'll have any size for the fair this year, but we can cull what we don't want and keep a trio over the winter the hatch out what we need for next year.

I'm also getting some Buckeyes for a new class of chickens at our fair this year. They are allowing "Heritage" chickens to compete with broilers. Due to the time it takes to get them up to weight, they have given them earlier hatch dates to be more competitive with the Cornish cross. We'll see how they do. This could prove interesting. If I remember, I'll update on how it goes at the fair this year and let everyone know how this class turned out.

Finally, we're still doing turkeys. My 3 youngest children (18, 15, 13) will be showing broad breasted whites. I'll probably put a pair of Bourbon reds in open class this year. Will be picking those up next month too.

Hi there! I'm originally from Crawford County, but now I live in Indiana. Small world! Welcome to BYC!!!

I also have an order in at Meyer. We're going to visit family that weekend and then pick them up on our way home. (At least that was the plan until I saw that gas is $3.99 a gallon! We'll see.)

frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom