Hello from Oregon!

The Camo Bulldog

Chirping
5 Years
May 31, 2017
I have had chickens previously but after having some nasty problems with predators (mainly raccoons, but some fox problems as well) I was without chickens for a couple years, I just bought some chicks on Monday and I'm excited to start fresh and hopefully have a much better experience this time! I'm looking forward to learning a lot from this site. :) Pictured is one of my black australorp chicks, I named her Calla (pronounced Kayla) it's greek for beautiful.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170530-175751.png
    Screenshot_20170530-175751.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
I have had chickens previously but after having some nasty problems with predators (mainly raccoons, but some fox problems as well) I was without chickens for a couple years, I just bought some chicks on Monday and I'm excited to start fresh and hopefully have a much better experience this time! I'm looking forward to learning a lot from this site. :) Pictured is one of my black australorp chicks, I named her Calla (pronounced Kayla) it's greek for beautiful.
Welcome! I can't stress enough the importance of hardware cloth to keep racoons out, be sure it's buried and has gravel around it or they'll dig under. (So will a skunk) and all latches on your coop are racoon proof (no simple hooks, they can unlatch those) and also, don't assume they are safe in daylight, I've seen racoons out in the day. Hope your new babies stay safe and grow up strong!

Welcome! I can't stress enough the importance of hardware cloth to keep racoons out, be sure it's buried and has gravel around it or they'll dig under. (So will a skunk) and all latches on your coop are racoon proof (no simple hooks, they can unlatch those) and also, don't assume they are safe in daylight, I've seen racoons out in the day. Hope your new babies stay safe and grow up strong!
Thank you, I'm in the process of fortifying the old coop, by the time I'm done with it I just hope I can figure out how to get into it! Lol

Hi and welcome to BYC. Good to hear that you have resumed your chicken-keeping. I wish you the best of luck with them.

Best wishes
CT

Hello! Welcome to BYC and welcome back to chicken keeping! I am glad that you were able to overcome the discouraging predator issues to give it another whirl

Back
Top Bottom