Mar 28, 2020
Orient, Ohio
Hello there! We are Michael and Lindsey.

My wife and I bought an old farmhouse on 2.25 acres in a farming community located in Orient, Ohio last year. Now that the house is mostly taken care of with repairs and maintenance, we have been working on turning an old barn-style outbuilding (10x15ft) into a large chicken coop over the past couple months. With this whole Covid-19 thing happening, we have some free-time to finish up the coop. It is quite an old building, but it has good bones, decent foundation (buried double stacked cinder-block and reinforced with poured concrete) and dirt floors. We are all about DIY and reusing/repurposing materials, so the building was a natural choice for us. And since I own and operate a junk removal and recycling business, I have ample opportunity for second-hand materials since we focus on landfill diversion as a business model.

Linz and I just love all animals (especially rescues, we currently have 4 happy indoor cats) and will be starting with 4 or 5 egg-layers to learn the poultry ropes (hopefully with Buckeye chickens!!) and go from there. We are excited to have these lovely creatures with the eggs, compost, and bug patrol they provide. We won't be raising any for meat. Lindsey is pescatarian and I only occasionally eat meat. We also love organic gardening and are growing crops at our new homestead this year too! Because let me tell you, I make salads for us a minimum 4 times a week. LOL

The thought of all the poor chickens around the world being mass produced for their eggs and meat while enduring terrible conditions and other unspeakable horrors just breaks our hearts... Same with all the other animals similarly raised for mass consumption. The safety, health, and happiness of our chickens will be number one priority. So we have been taking our time and making this outbuilding coop a literal fortress. There are predators everywhere around here. We have done so much research and are so excited to get our first chickens soon for the hands-on approach!!

Our username Gertie Greenbriar comes from a combination of my Mom's nickname (Gertie Greenthumb) who was taken from us by a terrible tragedy last year, and the creek (Greenbriar) that outlines our new property.

Well, that about sums it up in a nut-shell, now I have stayed up till 6:00am... LOL.
The community here at BYC looks great, we are happy to be aboard!

Thanks!
Michael and Lindsey
20190808_193120.jpg

It was easier to see in person, but if you look there is a double rainbow!! After we moved in last summer there was a raging storm and after it passed, the rainbows appeared! It was quite meaningful to us and everything we had just went through losing my Mom. Our first home was meant to be :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

Sorry for the loss of your mom. :hugs But I do hope you enjoy this new adventure you are on! It's fun to live in the country and even more fun to keep chickens! :jumpy

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions along the way, be sure to ask. Welcome to our community!

Hello, Michael and Lindsey, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Congratulations on the new farmhouse. I also love to recycle old things and I turned my old shed into my new coop. Your building sounds perfect for that and with dirt floors, you can use the DLM or at least give a try and see how it works for you.
Sorry about the loss of your mother.

Hi Michael and welcome to BYC. Make yourself at home and enjoy the forums.

Best wishes

Pork Pie
Thank you! We definitely will enjoy all the knowledge in the forums!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

Sorry for the loss of your mom. :hugs But I do hope you enjoy this new adventure you are on! It's fun to live in the country and even more fun to keep chickens! :jumpy

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions along the way, be sure to ask. Welcome to our community!
Thank you. This adventure we are on is exciting and we feel blessed. Needless to say we are loving the country living and sooo looking forward to keeping chickens soon! Hehehe.

Hello, Michael and Lindsey, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Congratulations on the new farmhouse. I also love to recycle old things and I turned my old shed into my new coop. Your building sounds perfect for that and with dirt floors, you can use the DLM or at least give a try and see how it works for you.
Sorry about the loss of your mother.
Giving old things new uses is so rewarding. I hate seeing what goes in the landfill. I was curious about the dirt floor aspect. I believe you are talking about the deep litter method, right? I need to look into that further really, see if it would be a good fit for us. Does that method smell after long?

Hi Michael & Lindsey and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

So sorry about the loss of your mom :hugs congratulations on the farm, love and enjoy your new adventure.
Thank you, we most certainly will. I think country living is just what we needed!

Welcome to BYC! It's so great to have you here!
Welcome to our FUNomenal Flock! :wee
I hope you enjoy it here as much as we do!
Best wishes and Be well!
"FUNomenal Flock".... LMAO!! I am sure we will enjoy this place as much as most do. I really like forums and the exchange of knowledge and experience, and BYC looks to be a very friendly community without drama or trolls! Super nice find! :)

Back
Top Bottom