Hello from Quandary Quackers

lilearthquake

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 26, 2014
Burlington, North Carolina
Joined BYC for information for raising happy ducks and kin-ship.

Story: Rescued 6 ducklings after Easter in 2013 (3 Pekin , 3 Swedish Blue). Lost 2 to a fox early on, so now have 4. Then learned crucial things from internet (some from reading BYC forum) like how ducks love routine, how to heard them and how to get them to come to my call at dusk so they stay safe, but I always have more questions.

About: Husband and myself own local business. Actively support my 11 yr old daughter and her endeavors. BUT my schedule revolves around my ducks'. No matter what time of day, the only times that matter are Sunrise & Dusk. Sunrise, I let them out to enjoy our mini lake. Dusk, they are called, fed and put up safe. I suspect neighbors might call me "crazy duck lady" which makes me proud.

Current situation: Too many males! 3 males to 1 female. Reminder, these are pet ducks, so getting rid of any would be unthinkable. Thinking of adding females-- I have room for only 2. Vet told me 'more females would not help' and it could make things worse. Told me to 'separate them until mating season over'. My 4 ducks are heavily imprinted on each other and would suffer from being split up. Sounds like advice I can't stand alone on.

What I know: I currently have (1) alpha male, (1) beta male, (1) passive male and (1) patient female. As soon as they hit the water every morning, alpha male asks female to mate. (He really does ask first!). She accepts, then they all four go about their day. Recently, boys are struggling for control; the beta is vying for control. He mounts the alpha while he's on the female nearly drowning her. I saw mallards drown a hen last year and it was so sad.

Today I kept the beta male in the coop for 5 minutes until the mating was over. It was not the pretty dance we usually do in the mornings and the whole group was upset with me and didn't understand what on earth I was doing by separating them. Hoping to learn from someone else's experience. Will another female or two help any?

Oh my goodness. Hope someone with duck experience can help out. That's certainly not me. But I wish you lots of luck. why did the vet say adding more females wouldnt help? That doesnt make a lot of sense to me but..again I know nothing about ducks. I do understanding that them being pets; how in the work would you pick one to go? I just hope it doesnt come to that. Keep us posted!!!
welcome-byc.gif

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png

Could you possibly separate the duck and a drake from the other males? It's possible to keep a bachelor pad flock. Adding females with that many drakes around might not be practical for your situation.

Welcome! Glad you joined!
I currently have three hens and three drakes, so I can relate in a way to what you are going through. Having a hen for each male will help but unfortunately they still will squabble over the hens of others. I have a small kiddie pool for my birds. So the risk of drowning is far less. I will also at times see the male that is supposed to be with the hen that is mating with another drake going after the invading drake. And so the life of ducks goes on. I was going to give them a larger pond but am wondering if it is the right decision. I don't want my hens to end up drowned either.
In short, getting two more hens might make it better but still expect for some to fight over another's girl.
Hope this helps a little. :)
Once again Welcome!

I would feel more comfortable with doing that, yes. But usually they free range all day in paradise. The run is large enough for them, but does not compare to what awaits them past the gate. No grass, no lake to dabble in.

I know my ducks mate every day, but do you know how long "mating season" lasts? I'm in North Carolina.

Back
Top Bottom