Hello From Sacramento, CA

nsmile46

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 6, 2010
I am new to the backyard chicken phenomenon. We have 2 French Maran hens (Claudine & Oona), one of whom is having egg laying difficulties. Eggs are being laid without the shell by one of the hens. Occurs about every other day, no laying in between or an occasional full egg. Both hens are 6 months old and are on Layena crumble with oyster shell. We've also added straight oyster shell as a side dish. I've offered Greek yogurt, unflavored in hopes of providing immediate digestive calcium but doesn't seem to help. Oona continues with her shell problem. Both hens are cooped at night but have free run of the yard during the day, eating grass, bugs, etc. I bought them some fat night crawlers at the bait shop. Claudine loved them and gobbled them down; Oona seemed put off by them. Is there such a thing as a picky eater? What can I do to help Oona with her calcium deficiency and/or stop her laying until her body is fully equipped to do this?

welcome-byc.gif

The shell-less eggs is often a phase that new layers go thru until their body works it out. Free choice oyster shell is a great idea - then the girls can eat what they need - which is often different than what the feed contains.

I also have a couple "picky" eaters. I give my gang mealworms - and I have a couple birds who are like "ew worms"
lau.gif
Just like people, they each like different things.

frow.gif
from San Diego!!

Ditto what HorseFeatherz NV told you. Give her a little more time. Sounds like you're doing everything right.

Back
Top Bottom