Hello from Tauranga, New Zealand

kiwichiks

In the Brooder
Dec 12, 2015
New Zealand
Hello from New Zealand (home of Lord of the Rings!). I live with my husband and teenage son and daughter in Tauranga - a beautiful coastal city on the eastern side of the North Island. My 14 year old daughter and I share a passion for birds and every spring we hand-rear one or two lots of orphans that come to us through our local bird rescue organisation.

My daughter has been DESPERATE to raise ducklings for a very long time and as we haven't been fortunate enough to have any orphans come our way, I recently purchased 4 fertile Magpie duck eggs for her. Tears of joy ensued, and after much 'Googling' and researching, we built a home incubator and started incubating. At Day 13, we confirmed two very active embryos (and 2 yolkers) by candling the eggs and then transferred the developing eggs to my mother's hen, which fortuitously, had meantime become fervently clucky! Our ducklings are due on the 27th of December - a late Christmas present - so fingers crossed all goes well!!

I have a question about one of the eggs - a 'special needs' egg - that I will ask elsewhere on the forum.

Welcome to BYC, and good luck with the incubation. Good to see the use of the term 'clucky'. It's how a setting hen was always referenced when I was a kid.
old.gif

Hi and a warm welcome to BYC - I hope that all goes well with your hatch.

All the best
Ct

Back
Top Bottom