Hello From Texas!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by whitneyo, Sep 18, 2013.

1. whitneyo

whitneyo New Egg

Sep 18, 2013
    San Marcos, Texas
    Hi from San Marcos, Texas!! Living in the sticks of the '666. I have chickens that are now several months old (8ish) but still not laying. I'm hoping any day now...

2. Valk

Valk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Durango, Colorado
    [​IMG] What breeds do you have? This is a great place to be if you have chicken questions. I have learned so much from this website. I hope you get eggs soon!

3. whitneyo

whitneyo New Egg

Sep 18, 2013
    San Marcos, Texas
    Hi! I have a few speckled sussex, one partridge plymouth rock, some golden campines, a top hat (rooster), two bantam cochins, and three barred plymouth rocks. Oh! And three guineas.

4. Valk

May 14, 2013
    Durango, Colorado
    Wow, you have quite the array of birds! The only information I have is that we just got our first egg yesterday. It was from one of our Barred Rocks. They are 22 weeks old today. They do have oyster shell to pick at and they're on layer feed. Not sure if that matters to when they lay their eggs.

Oh, I have a friend that moved from San Marcos about a year ago. Do you know a guy named Sand?

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!!!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Those girls really should get going now and lay you a few eggs! What are you feeding them?

7. hungnguyen

hungnguyen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2013
    Hello neighbor. I work in San Marcos, near the Outlet. I gave a friend some Oriental chicken to breed in SM too. Maybe someday I can come over .. for lunch ... scramble eggs maybe. Welcome to the site.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  8. whitneyo

whitneyo New Egg

Sep 18, 2013
    San Marcos, Texas
    Don't know anyone named Sand, I really actually don't know anyone here in SM.

No, I will not invite any strange people to my home, sorry.

I feed them some scratch occasionally plus tons of stuff that used to go into my compost (fruits and veggies). I also occasionally mix in oyster shell with the crumble that is always in the coop.

I figured that it is still just too hot for them to start laying for their first season, though we have dropped in temp (below the habitual 100 degrees) for the last week or so.

They might not be quite 8 months old--but they are not far from it.

9. Valk

May 14, 2013
    Durango, Colorado
    Ah, just wondering if you knew him, sometimes it's a small world.

Lol on that second line, and, good policy!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  10. chickenfreak101

chickenfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Leesburg, FL
    [​IMG] Hi!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by