Hello from the Hudson Valley!

Otterdance

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 1, 2014
Hello! I'm on a 4-acre lot with a lot of wooded area and a large pond in the beautiful Hudson Valley Highlands. We do maple syrup, are building beehives to start bees this year, and are looking to start a flock of chickens (and possibly also ducks on the pond).

For ducks, I like the sound of runner ducks and Welsh harlequins -- also Cayugas. I am a little undecided about chicken breeds. Because I like so many of them, I know I want a mixed flock, probably with some combination of Ameracauna, Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Bielefelder, New Hampshire Red, Legbar (I love their watercolour look!), Barnevelder, Dominique, maybe Icelandic for vigilance, Swedish flower ditto, Belgian d'Anver are so pretty, Wyandotte ditto, Plymouth Rock, Appenzeller Barthuhn, Niederrheiner, Vorwerk look cute, and Sulmtaler are a picturesque breed. Even if I just get one of each that I like, I'm going to need a pretty good-sized space for them!

We want to be able to let them out during the day to forage most days (I work from home), but have a yard for days when they need better protection. I can't wait to dig in to all of the good information here!

Have a good one!
Otter

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!
D.gif

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! Good thing you have a lot of space! Have you looked at the Breeds section's temptations yet?

Back
Top Bottom