Duck bumblefoot (early) treatment

Launchpad

Songster
May 24, 2022
Central Texas
So after my 2 Cayuga had bad bumblefoot last fall (they recovered fully from antibiotics and treatment, no actual surgery or cutting) I have been more vigilant in checking them.
Lilith the female has shown a new case (we've had a ton of rain and the 3 ducks in this cohort have been spending less time in the pond and a more time wandering around the woods etc) that seems to be the very beginning stage and (hopefully) easily treatable. I just wanted to double check my approach.
This is from 2 days ago (looks exactly the same this morning
20230213_182643.jpg 20230213_182628.jpg

Its just that one small kernel, very hard. No redness detected.
For the last two days I've been soaking her feet in warm water with iodine and epsom salts for 15 minutes twice a day. Afterwards rubbing the spot with iodine, spray with vetermycin, and finishing with neosporin. Haven't been wrapping it afterwards, in the mornings just let her go with the other ducks and the evenings carry her to the pen.
My plan is to continue with this treatment until it softens up and then.... would i pull it out with tweezers if it can be done with just a little force? Or do i have to cut around it? And how soft would it have to get before attempting to remove it?
Is this something where drawing salve would be a good idea?
First time I'll be doing the removal so any and all help is appreciated!

When my Runner had a bumble similar just much bigger there was a hard kernel no scab after 7 days of antibiotics I took a scalpel and made a slice and popped it out put antibiotic ointment and wrapped it healed fine. If you can feel a hard kernel I’m not sure it’s going to resolve with out
6FA341A8-9208-479C-BA13-2A9C8CE2290D.jpeg
going in to get it out. This is much bigger that your ducks. You might try just what your doing a while longer before opening it up.

When my Runner had a bumble similar just much bigger there was a hard kernel no scab after 7 days of antibiotics I took a scalpel and made a slice and popped it out put antibiotic ointment and wrapped it healed fine. If you can feel a hard kernel I’m not sure it’s going to resolve with out View attachment 3406296going in to get it out. This is much bigger that your ducks. You might try just what your doing a while longer before opening it up.
Right.
The only hard kernel is the visible large white portion which is why i think it could be easily removed but hopefully with conservative treatments, soaking etc.
Also why im considering truly the drawing salve technique just in case it could pop out on its own

So after my 2 Cayuga had bad bumblefoot last fall (they recovered fully from antibiotics and treatment, no actual surgery or cutting) I have been more vigilant in checking them.
Lilith the female has shown a new case (we've had a ton of rain and the 3 ducks in this cohort have been spending less time in the pond and a more time wandering around the woods etc) that seems to be the very beginning stage and (hopefully) easily treatable. I just wanted to double check my approach.
This is from 2 days ago (looks exactly the same this morning
View attachment 3405949View attachment 3405948

Its just that one small kernel, very hard. No redness detected.
For the last two days I've been soaking her feet in warm water with iodine and epsom salts for 15 minutes twice a day. Afterwards rubbing the spot with iodine, spray with vetermycin, and finishing with neosporin. Haven't been wrapping it afterwards, in the mornings just let her go with the other ducks and the evenings carry her to the pen.
My plan is to continue with this treatment until it softens up and then.... would i pull it out with tweezers if it can be done with just a little force? Or do i have to cut around it? And how soft would it have to get before attempting to remove it?
Is this something where drawing salve would be a good idea?
First time I'll be doing the removal so any and all help is appreciated!
UPDATE:
After almost two weeks of:
- twice daily soakings in warm water w/ iodine
- after morning soak just put out with other ducks as normal
- cleaned nightly with iodine after the warm bath
- then wrapped with drawing salve and gauze
- duck shoes to keep the gauze in place

Tonight the plug came out after rubbing with q-tip and iodine

20230226_181208.jpg
20230226_182017.jpg
20230226_182028.jpg
20230226_182033.jpg

I pushed as much as I dared but little came out, nothing yellow came out. Just some very little white, not sure what.
Foot was wrapped again with gauze and neosporin and the shoes back on to keep the gauze on.
My plan now is to soak it twice, maybe three times daily with warm water and chlorhexadine. She will not be allowed in any water but am considering letting her and the two other ducks from her cohort wander around the little yard with no pool just a water bucket for drinking. Shoes on whole time with gauze and neosporin. If that doesn't work then same thing but in her pen for a few days until I see how it progresses

As far as I can tell it looks good, no redness or swelling and doesn't seem to bother her at all.
If there are any suggestions/ideas on what to do or do differently they are always appreciated

Congrats of getting her though this. You have done a fantastic job!!

After I got the core out of my ducks foot I didn't soak any longer I put the triple antibiotic on and wrapped her foot till the hole closed up. She also wore a shoe. Didn't take long at all.
Of course you do what you feel is best for your duck. I am just so proud you did it and now she is on the road to recovery!!

Congrats of getting her though this. You have done a fantastic job!!

After I got the core out of my ducks foot I didn't soak any longer I put the triple antibiotic on and wrapped her foot till the hole closed up. She also wore a shoe. Didn't take long at all.
Of course you do what you feel is best for your duck. I am just so proud you did it and now she is on the road to recovery!!
Will definitely consider it. Thing to begin with the soaks in chlorohexadine just because it looks very similar to the last time i had to deal with bumblefoot on the other Cayuga and that's what the vet had is do; though that was much more advanced and red, we have antibiotics etc. 20221020_191017.jpg
This time since we caught it much earlier and have been keeping it very clean i have great hopes it heals up quickly with no sign of infection.
A duck shoes for this are the best thing ever. Everyone should have a pair or two for this situation

Back
Top Bottom