Hello From Utah! Egg Laying Question here!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif

Well, because our southern utah sun is so hot, they get indiect sun exposure. In the summer, standing in the sun will overheat a person very wuickly, and the ambient air temp is 110-115 even in the shade. We tried to let them free range during that heat but they stayed hidden in the coop. The coop is open chain link on the north, east and west sides, so they do get some morning and late afternoon direct sun. Even now its only starting to cool off, and its still 98-99 every day.

Is there anything abnormal with their behavior? Are they limping, open wounds, coughing, wheezing, gurgling in the throat, lethargic....anything like that? It might help us link their symptoms to a disease that is causing them to not lay.

This is a bit " un-Orthodoxed " but works like a top. I may get scolded for even giving you this info, Toss in a handful of dry cat food ( 30 - 35% protein ) give their system a boost. then let me know what happens by the end of the week ;-)

Norhing but happy, healthy looking chickens running around. This is why its such a mystery- by all accounts we should be over-run with eggs by now!
Ill try the cat food approach too. How often should I add it to the feed?

Back
Top Bottom