Hello I Am New to BYC - building my coop first

Stuartriver

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 22, 2019
Hello my name is Arlene. I have started building my 10 x 10 foot chicken house, the foundation and floor are complete, and I hope to have it completed by the end of May. My run is completed and is 60 x 50 foot with a 4 foot wide X 6 foot tall moat around my garden.

I haven’t gotten any birds yet but am interested in raising both meaties and layers and I have no idea what kind I will be getting.

I live on a small hobby farm on Vancouver Island BC, with my husband and Italian Greyhound. I enjoy gardening and one of my hobbies is working with warm glass.

Hi and welcome to BYC and congrats on your new hobby.

Here are some links to key resources:

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Hi from a certified BC lover! We've been able to live in Vancouver for extended periods and I couldn't be more smitten with my home away from home!

What predators do you have out on the island? I know there are areas that could be relatively predator-free and areas with bear and raccoons.

You've got to prepare for the worst when you're preparing your coop and run. My predators are coyote and raccoons and I use 1/2" heavy gauge hardware cloth buried 18" into the ground. Hardware cloth will keep out raccoons. I'm not sure I'd trust it with bear. Maybe you'll want hardware cloth for the tight mesh and some supporting chain link for the strength.

You've got to also make your access ports secure -- your doors and nest box access, for example. For those ^%$% raccoons make sure everything has a secure latch that can be reinforced with carabiner clips (or even padlocks). Those suckers are smart, agile and determined but I haven't had one open a carabiner yet.

Finally, you've got to plan for all that rain and make sure you have a sturdy, well-drained roof with really wide overhangs. That sturdy roof will also give you protection from birds of prey.

Good luck! Have fun! Stop by often!

Last edited:
A1E615D6-611B-4515-A126-BFF692179128.jpeg
Welcome to BYC!​

Back
Top Bottom