Hello, I need some mallard duck help....

InnocentPerfect

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 14, 2014
Hello there,

I have a mallard hen that has successfully hatched a duckling, and it is keeping it in the nest and won't let it out our us see it. I'm concerned it won't be used to people, though we did get to hold it twice or so. It seems okay, but I feel anxious like we should be more consistent. I don't want to force anything and risk the unintentional harm to the baby, or upset the mother.

Any advice?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I don't know anything about ducks other than how cute they are!

So you will want to post this in our Duck section and chat with all those Duck experts about this...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Good luck with your ducks and welcome to our flock!

What are you planning to do with the little duckling??? Do you want to sell it? If you think that the duckling needs to be handled, does mom feel comfortable with you walking around her in the nest? If mom doesn't mind you going near the nest try petting her and talking to her, at that same time pull out the little baby and just pet it in front of mom so that she knows that you aren't going to hurt her little baby...

Well, she hisses. The mom is more of a s hy duck when it comes to people. But I'll keep trying things like that when it's not risky. Thank you :)

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know a lot about ducks (although I've had a few), but I have to admit that ducklings are the ultimate in cute. Definitely post on our duck section where our duck experts can help you. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your duck.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on the successful hatch, good luck with the ducklings.

If it's a very new duckling, mama will be quite protective. It is pressuring her when you hold the baby. Give it a few days - I'm sure the baby will be curious and if you held out something it would like to eat - it will probably come up to you. I don't know if ducks can get as tame as some chickens. But, they probably prefer to make their own gestures rather than being picked up and held.

Back
Top Bottom