Hello I'm New How Do You Care For Ducks?

Hello, welcome to BackYard Chickens! Thank you for joining our community. ☺️ I only had Golden Sexlink chickens so I can only compare to them. The Khakis are slightly smaller than the GS. My Khakis were skittish compared to my Indian Runners (best pet and laying ducks in my opinion).

Hello, welcome to BackYard Chickens! Thank you for joining our community. ☺️ I only had Golden Sexlink chickens so I can only compare to them. The Khakis are slightly smaller than the GS. My Khakis were skittish compared to my Indian Runners (best pet and laying ducks in my opinion).
Thankyou! I plan to spend lots of time with them. Hopefully that will make them more tame.

Maybe I'll get 1 Khaki Campbell, 1 Indian Runner, and 1 Black Cayuga. Would they get along?
My mixed breed flock got along very well. Including my cayuga, khaki campbells, crested pekin, and welsh harlequins. I've never had an indian runner, but I don't see why one wouldn't get along. I enjoy having a mixed flock.

Also, my ducks were able to learn to go up ramps without issue. I did make it wider and less steep than I would make a ramp for chickens. And I put texture on it so they could walk up it more comfortably. They learned quickly with some gentle herding and mealworm treats at the top. I do regularly hear that ducks resist ramps, though.

Hello! Welcome to BYC!

They might get along with your chickens as long as you only have female ducks and they have enough space. A dollar general kiddie pool should be a great water source for them ! I actually would not feed them chicken layer pellets. A duck specific feed would be better for them. You can order duck specific layer pellets on chewy.com
I would recommend mazuri waterfowl breeder, as my vet and other members on this forum recommended to me, and while they are ducklings mazuri waterfowl starter would give them an amazing start. have a ramp to my coop but it is not steep at all and it is very wide, the one in your picture looks like it might be a little bit too steep so plan for it to be less steep. I hope you have a great time with your ducks if you get them! Make sure you do plenty of research and figure out which breeds seem most appealing to you.

Back
Top Bottom