Hello! I'm Peter & My German Shepherd Is Hund! Ivermicin Q's...

thescirocco

Hatching
Jun 24, 2016
Hey,

New to the list...

I'm Peter and I have an 80lb German Shepherd, that is my everything, and I'm not willing to risk any errors, on my part in figuring out how much of a drop of Ivermicin, to use. Looking for several confirmations...

Using Ivermicin 1% solution, to preventive treatment of heartworms... Heading to Tractor Supply now.

Thanks in advance, I truly appreciate it!

Peter & Hund Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be best to ask a vet. Personally I just buy and use the prepackaged stuff, why risk you dog. I actually think a box of heartguard is cheaper than a box of ivermec.

Yes, heart guard and interseptor are cheaper. Try foster and smith. You get about a 6 month supply depending on box.

Last edited:
It would be best to ask a vet. Personally I just buy and use the prepackaged stuff, why risk you dog. I actually think a box of heartguard is cheaper than a box of ivermec.

Just wondering what you all pay for heartguard or other heart worm medication? I use interceptor and for my shelties it's about $10.00 a month and for my English Shepherd it's about $14.00.

Heartguard runs from 25-40 dollars for six months, for my Australian shepherds I use Sentinel which is 50 dollars for a six month supply. Be careful using and ivermectin products with collie based breeds as they can have a bad reaction and could be potentially fatal. Usually heartguard doesn't have enough to cause real problems but my one Aussie would have seizures on it so now they get Sentinel.

Cost of preventatives really depends where you get them. Heartworm preventative needs to be purchased through a vet because you need to have a SNAP blood test done before you treat to make sure your dog is not already infected. I would not purchase these products online because you often end up with counterfeit products that are not effective.

Heartgard is fine but sentinel is preferred because it kills whipworms in addition to hookworms and roundworms. Whipworms are very hard to get rid of once they get into your yard. However, I use heartgard because it's a bit cheaper for me.

Ivermectin works to kill heartworms but you do have to be careful with some breeds and there is a lot of resistance to that so it may not be effective on any of the other worms. It just makes me nervous to think of using ivermectin in large doses for dogs. (We use it for mites and scabies and it works well)

Cost of preventatives really depends where you get them. Heartworm preventative needs to be purchased through a vet because you need to have a SNAP blood test done before you treat to make sure your dog is not already infected. I would not purchase these products online because you often end up with counterfeit products that are not effective.

Heartgard is fine but sentinel is preferred because it kills whipworms in addition to hookworms and roundworms. Whipworms are very hard to get rid of once they get into your yard. However, I use heartgard because it's a bit cheaper for me.

Ivermectin works to kill heartworms but you do have to be careful with some breeds and there is a lot of resistance to that so it may not be effective on any of the other worms. It just makes me nervous to think of using ivermectin in large doses for dogs. (We use it for mites and scabies and it works well)

Even a small dose of Ivermectin can cause problems for a dog sensitive to it. (Usually herding dogs whose ancestors came from Great Britain. Thankfully there is an easy saliva test to tell what a dog is, whether normal/normal, normal/mutant, or mutant/mutant. If the last you need to be a lot more careful of more than just ivermectin. The dog can be affected by many medicines including anesthesias.

I have used ivermectin for my GSDs for about 13 years. I pay $30 every 2-3 years for a bottle vs it would be $60 every 6 months for heartguard.

the sensitivity isn't common in GSDs. mostly collies and other herding breeds.

I use .01CC per 10lbs of dog every 45 days. If in doubt, have the test done for sensitivity before using.

I have used ivermectin for my GSDs for about 13 years.       I pay $30 every 2-3 years for a bottle  vs it would be $60 every 6 months for heartguard.

the sensitivity isn't common in GSDs.    mostly collies and other herding breeds.

I use .01CC per 10lbs of dog every 45 days.    If in doubt, have the test done for sensitivity before using.

It works fine in most cases but I get nervous about recommending it to the average owner. Also, there have been some recent cases of resistant heartworm infections. Ivermectin just seems to be one of those drugs that will be less and less effective as the years go on.

I have used ivermectin for my GSDs for about 13 years. I pay $30 every 2-3 years for a bottle vs it would be $60 every 6 months for heartguard.

the sensitivity isn't common in GSDs. mostly collies and other herding breeds.

I use .01CC per 10lbs of dog every 45 days. If in doubt, have the test done for sensitivity before using.

Herding dogs with white feet are the most prone. I've never heard of any GSD's being positive for it From what I've read this was a spontaneous arising mutation occurring in one herding dog who lived in Great Britain during the 1870's or earlier. (This was concluded from genetic and DNA testing) GSD's were from the continent.
Interestingly I've had all my dogs tested since the test was available. All were/are normal/normal except for a smooth collie and a sheltie who were both normal/mutant. So I guess way way back they were related.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom