Hello.. just searching for information.

Pics

Kathymary

Chirping
Oct 14, 2020
Near Goldendale Washington
Hello, I am Kathymary (or Kathleen Mary) my husband took care of our little flock (Four birds; One Barred Rock, 2 Orpingtons, 1 Bantam. ) more than I ever did. He died of cancer in January and I've continued to care for them. I am enjoying the responsibility. They are egg laying Hens, nearly pets, and not for food. I didn't have any problems most of the year. I am now Having some problems; I replaced the floor of the coop and I suspect it caused more stress than I thought it would. My bantam, Ariel, had begun to refuse to turn up in the evening and then reappeared only fight Amber through the netting 2 mornings ago. I am not sure who was the real aggressor. Amber was a little damaged, but I washed her wounds off and put medicine on them, and after two days, she seems back to normal. Bernice, the barred rock and Blondie do not seem to be attacking her. I need to know more about reintroducing my pretty little Bantam, Ariel, back into the coop after she heals from her wounds. (question 1: do I wait until she is completely healed?)
I have Ariel sequestered in the garage. I'm 69, retired, living in Rural South Central Washington state. I own 10 acres, mostly, mixed forest. It's been a really challenging year for me. My husband used to check your site, though, I don't think he ever posted. I have a lot to learn, but that has been true, generally, this year. I have two sweet cats or they have me. Not sure which. Another question: how long until they get used to their nice new floor?
My hobbies are crochet, knitting, weaving, gardening, sewing, writing, cooking, tatting.
Thank you for any advice.

Hello Kathymary and welcome to BYC! :frow

Definitely wait until all wounds have healed before putting them back in the flock. Chickens tend to go right after wounds and weaker birds. And she needs to be introduced slowly. What I usually do with sick or injured birds is cage them within the flock. The flock sees them, can't touch them and the flock is more accepting when they are ready to return to the flock.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

:welcome

Hello, so sorry about your loss. Whenever you need help, someone will always be here to answer any questions you may have.

Best wishes.
Thank you for you kindness. Leon was the best of men and we were very happy for 44 yrs. We finally retired in 2016 and the only thing we couldn't predict was what happened. He thought I'd give away the chickens, but I am determined to keep them and learn all I can. I am a natural student and this is my first real challenge with our little flock.

Hello Kathymary and welcome to BYC! :frow

Definitely wait until all wounds have healed before putting them back in the flock. Chickens tend to go right after wounds and weaker birds. And she needs to be introduced slowly. What I usually do with sick or injured birds is cage them within the flock. The flock sees them, can't touch them and the flock is more accepting when they are ready to return to the flock.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

Thank you for you kindness. Leon was the best of men and we were very happy for 44 yrs. We finally retired in 2016 and the only thing we couldn't predict was what happened. He thought I'd give away the chickens, but I am determined to keep them and learn all I can. I am a natural student and this is my first real challenge with our little flock.

Keeping the flock is a nice way of carrying on his legacy and with time, they will give you joy.

Back
Top Bottom