Hello, kurka means little hen in my language :)

Czesc, I'm Polish too!!!
lol.png

welcome-byc.gif

Skad jestes? Piszesz z Polski?

Last edited:
heksa: Czesc:D Ano pisze. pyski Malawi or Tanganika?
smile.png
)

PortageGirl: a jelly FROM wine? @@ recipe please!
big_smile.png
I made pickled plums and pickled pumpkin today. Canning is quite fun
smile.png

Last edited:
For the wine jelly I made, I used the recipe out of the "Ball Blue Book guide to preserving" and it calls it 'Chablis Jelly' but I use whatever wine I have that I want to use up. You can make it with any wine at all though. I get the no sugar pectin and use much less sugar than it calls for, especially if it's a sweet wine I'm starting with. If the wine is a drier red, I might use up to half what the recipe calls for. It doesn't always set up really solid for me, but it's always interesting!

This is the recipe as they give it. The amount of wine, and lemon juice is important. The acid in the lemon juice is what helps make it safe to Boil Water Bath (BWB) process, and as long as you use the low/no sugar pectin, you can cut back on the sugar, though it's still best to use at least a little.

Chablis Jelly

Yield about 5 half pints

3 1/2 cups Chablis
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 package powdered pectin
4 1/2 cups sugar

Combine wine and lemon juice in a large saucepot; stir in powdered pectin. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Return to a rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary. Ladle hot jelly into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust two-part caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.

This last time I used 3 1/2 cups White Grenache, 1/2 cup lemon juice, 1 package no sugar pectin, and 1 3/4 cups sugar. Even though it set up rather loosely, once it's opened and chilled, it is a much better consistency.

If you need ingredients given in weights, I have a scale and I can weigh things and convert it for you. There are many other recipes on line for wine jellies, but I really trust the Ball Blue Book recipes a lot. I frequently use the no sugar pectin and cut way back on sugar because jams and jellies are often too sweet for my taste.

I well remember the plum jam recipes my grandmother made, it was very sweet for my taste, so maybe I just don't have a sweet tooth, but even though it was sweet, I loved it very much.

(I found this note on a message board where they were discussing wine jelly)
For deep red jelly, use ruby port or robust red wine. For a soft rose-colored jelly, choose a fruity rose such as Grenache Rose If using white wines, use those with a faintly sweet or fruity flavor, such as Gewurztraminer. Berry or other fruit wines may also be used.

Last edited:
PortageGirl thank you! I will surely try it out. I have a bottle of pink south african wine, my sister gave me this on her wedding, and I didn't know what to do with it
big_smile.png
It has some raspberry flavours so maybe it will work
smile.png
Yours one package of powdered pectin is how much in weight?

Hello Bella1210 and BayouPoules!
smile.png

1.75 oz (49g) is what the package says. It's made by 'Kraft' and called 'Sure Jell' and it's what is called for for 1 quart of fruit for a quick recipe which is what I showed where you only boil it for 1 minute, or 2 quarts of fruit if you are willing to cook it longer (which is more traditional, but I prefer the quick version). That's a very rough summary of it though because 1 or 2 quarts of fruit is just a generalization, and can be replaced all or in part by juice, wine, or other liquid too.

Here's the web site for the product I use. http://brands.kraftfoods.com/surejell I mostly use the "FOR LESS OR NO SUGAR NEEDED RECIPES" one in the pink box. I almost always use some sugar though because it really turns out best that way.

Oh, and the wine from your sister sounds like a perfect one to use! Hopefully you can gift her with a small jar this Christmas for her to enjoy with breakfast!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom