95eanimal

Chirping
Apr 15, 2021
hello my duck is starting to grow her wing out ward... i think this is a DNA problem. or is it something else??
IMG_0421.JPG
IMG_0424.JPG

every day it gets out ward even more. the wing is out ward so much that it can not fold up correctly.

It's called "Angel wing" and BirdsBeesTrees posted an excellent link for treatment. The key with angel wing is treating it as soon as it is noticed. After angel wing has developed it is no longer treatable and the wing will be permanently malformed. If a duck does end up with permanent angel wing it does not hurt the adult duck. However, it does impair the ducks ability to fly and if you free range the duck will not be able to get away from any predator.

thankyou all so much!! one problem is that its too late... today she grew her wing fully out ward. if I try folding it it will just break. so it does not hurt them? the angel wing does not hurt?? also! my mother says that ducks on poultry food makes them too fat and can't fly. is that true?

thankyou all so much!! one problem is that its too late... today she grew her wing fully out ward. if I try folding it it will just break. so it does not hurt them? the angel wing does not hurt?? also! my mother says that ducks on poultry food makes them too fat and can't fly. is that true?
I'm not sure how you are folding it, but you only gently tuck it and wrap it there is no forcing the wing or bending it to the point of break involved even if wrapping an older ducks wing. How long have you noticed her wing like this? If she is indeed too old the condition it is not painful.

As for the food, it is rare for a duck to become overweight in general if anything ducks are more likely to become underweight than over. Not being able to fly is based on breed genetics or caused my injuries. Duck owners often feed chicken feed to their ducks with no problems because duck feed is not always readily available. You do however, need to make sure the protein and niacin levels are appropriate. Ducks often require lower protein than chickens and higher levels of niacin.

i fixed angel wing on one of my ducks by wrapping her whole body in vetwrap for 3 days like a big tube. she looked very silly but it worked great.

AstroDuck: one question...​

so my mother says that in the past we had ducks and they were never able to fly. they all got hunted by animals. also they only layed normal eggs. none were fertal. mother said the feed made them unable to fly. is that true?

Back
Top Bottom