Hello, new to BYC.

BYC-Chicken-Greetings.png

Welcome to BackYard Chickens!!
Yep, our feathery little friends are so entertaining and all of us here love to welcome new chicken folks and share our experiences. Glad to see you're posting and enjoying the site... got your avatar location too!

Don't forget to visit the other social forums too...
Random Ramblings

Games, Jokes and Fun

Pictures and Stories of My Chickens
And a favorite thread Chicken Shaming to lighten the Mood

Oh, and I recently discovered this section (even though it's been there forever)
Sponsored Content, Contests and Giveaways
you never know what you could win!

Thank you for the link, I was going to order more worms and trying to figure a high fat and protein for the babies due to the cold
Are you just calling them babies or are they actual babies (less than 3 mos.)? :lau

Adult birds are usually very tolerant of cold weather, more so than heat, and will do fine in freezing temps. You can help them avoid frostbite by rubbing petroleum jelly on their combs too. A lot of people like to feed mealworms, and also scratch, sunflower seeds or scrambled eggs for additional protein. Offering in the evening hours of winter will make their bodies work a little harder digesting at night, thus creating more heat while asleep during the coldest part of the day (that's the theory anyway). Those things are just treats and shouldn't be a very large part of their diet.

Their main nutrition should come from either Layer feed for adult hens only, or an All Flock feed (which has a higher protein content) for mixed ages and genders, with grit and oyster shell always available free choice in a separate container. Maybe you already know that... just wanted to put it out there! :D

There's tons of opinions around here about what to feed, but here's thread about mealworms vs. scratch
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/scratch-verses-mealworms.1232634/

*edit* And high protein foods (in moderation) will help chickens get through their molt quicker and grow new feathers!

Last edited:
Are you just calling them babies or are they actual babies (less than 3 mos.)? :lau

Adult birds are usually very tolerant of cold weather, more so than heat, and will do fine in freezing temps. You can help them avoid frostbite by rubbing petroleum jelly on their combs too. A lot of people like to feed mealworms, and also scratch, sunflower seeds or scrambled eggs for additional protein. Offering in the evening hours of winter will make their bodies work a little harder digesting at night, thus creating more heat while asleep during the coldest part of the day (that's the theory anyway). Those things are just treats and shouldn't be a very large part of their diet.

Their main nutrition should come from either Layer feed for adult hens only, or an All Flock feed (which has a higher protein content) for mixed ages and genders, with grit and oyster shell always available free choice in a separate container. Maybe you already know that... just wanted to put it out there! :D

There's tons of opinions around here about what to feed, but here's thread about mealworms vs. scratch
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/scratch-verses-mealworms.1232634/

*edit* And high protein foods (in moderation) will help chickens get through their molt quicker and grow new feathers!
There actually 3 different generations of chickens. All of them will be 2 years old starting in march.
I just call them that, it's a habit.

I'm feeding them scratch, mealworm, extra black oil and regular sunflower seed mix at night when I put them away. A light night cap for them.

Back
Top Bottom