Hello! New to Forum, but not to Chickens...

Rainbow Egg Lover

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2018
Ontario, Oregon
Hello Everyone!

In the 90's my mum made a "deal" with my best mate and I ---- IF we did this chore and activity and could prove that we understood how to care for chickens, she would purchase two for each of us.

These were my first chickens: a tiny Bantam, who turned out to be a rooster Rudy and his hen Nellie who we lost at six months right after she began to lay eggs.

Rudy welcomed another Bantam, who also turned out to be another rooster: Caramel.

They were both the friendliest of birds. I would make a sound and tap the coop for them to hop up so I could pick them up to hold and give them affection. At the time I could not understand why other people didn't like a Banty rooster! I absolutely loved mine!

Needing some hens we went to Chicken Charlie's to adopt three hens for my roosters.

Caramel became the Top Cock to Caramelitta, Bridgette, and Georgette. His elder brother, Rudy was a happy, Second In Charge Rooster.

Georgette after being with us for a year seemed to want a nest of her own, but couldn't quite figure out the Brooding process, and so I borrowed a trio of Blue Cochins from my 4-H Leader's friend and set them apart for Pure Eggs. We gathered up a total of four eggs from them and eight from my Miniature Bantam Flock.

Out of a dozen eggs the owner of the Blue Cochins hatched nine.

On Mother's Day we welcomed home our Nine Piece McNugget's. (Ironic because we NEVER ate any of our chickens!)

Our nine consisted of a pair of Buff Cochins, a Blue Cochins hen and the remaining six took after their parents. To this day I'm not quite certain what breed of Cochins they were or if the hens were even the same type as our two Roosters, but I had a lot if fun raising the Littles until they feathered out and were big enough to introduce to the coop and their parents.

Georgette seemed to understand in some way that they were "hers" and she took charge of the babies.

These were my very first chickens, but not my only. A few times we would get given a few Standard breeds but would always re-home them because in Alaska we had a backyard, but a small coop. Far too small for Standard size chickens.

Now I'm an adult living in Eastern Oregon and when I have moved to the Western side of Oregon and bought some land chickens are going to be added to my little Farm.

I'm looking forward to the day!

Last edited:
G'Day from down under Rainbow Egg Lover :frow Welcome!

Great story! Thank you for sharing and congratulations on your new home/farm :clap

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom