Hello new to the forums

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bustedchicks, Mar 5, 2014.

1. bustedchicks

bustedchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    Just got 7 new Norwegian Jaerhons. they are my first chicken s. I got them setup in a small 1 meter X2 meter coop. 250 watt heat lamp above and a seedling heatmat under the box they came in which is on its side. The temp reads 107 between the heatmat and the box. The box is kinda thick and there's a bit of bedding down that came with. I have rice hulls down in the floor of the coop, 2 little food dishes and a gallon waterer. The inside temp is about 80.
    I am hoping they make it, unfortunately rainy season is here and ****** off at the humans. if the chicks have a rough night I will make them a spot inside.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I am not sure I understand your set up, but the temp at chick head height needs to be 95 degrees for newly hatched babies. Lowered by 5 degrees each week for 6 weeks. Make sure your brooder has 4 solid walls and a solid floor. They can die easily from drafts in open brooders.

Good luck with your babies and enjoy BYC!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2, the chicks need a draft free spot where the temperature is about 95*, the whole coop does not have to be that warm (they should be able to get away from the heat). Since you already have a heat light, with just seven chicks it might be easier to rig up a brooder out of a tote or cardboard box etc, there are some good ideas in the Coops section https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-chicken-brooder-designs-pictures and the Learning Center has articles with other ideas https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks Good luck with the little ones, Jaerhons are a nice breed.

4. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - good luck with your chicks.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    welcome to the flock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by