Hello! Newbie here :)

mistya2

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 6, 2013
Hello everyone! I have just recently found this forum and thought it looked great, and might help me with something, but before I get into that I'll introduce my chickens :)
I have 4 chickens at the moment, 2 that I have had since August and 2 that I just introduced yesterday. In August I did get another 2 that passed away, they were both silkies and I have heard they can be a bit bad with weather, and they both passed at different times but during cold wet days.
So far the original chickens haven't been too bad to the new ones, only a few pecks from the bigger chook (the head of the flock I'm guessing) Cluck, and now the two young babies are terrified of them! But I have placed some extra feeding bowls in to make sure they get to the food and hopefully it'll all settle down in a few days :)
The 2 new ones are only 13 weeks so no laying for them yet, but the ones that I have are about 5 months (maybe slightly younger) now and one is laying the other isn't yet.
That's where my question comes in, I'm guessing it came from stress of the newbies but I don't want to find out I'm missing something and should take her to a vet right away! :p My one laying hen layed her normal egg in the morning (as she has every day since she started laying a bit over a week ago) and then it was all good till feeding time and she just pretty much pooped out another one right in front of me! It had no hard shell, but like a coating over it keeping the insides in, it was fine to pick up so I just threw it out. I was staying in the coop for a bit to make sure the 2 younger ones get something to eat and about an hour later (maybe a bit longer, I lose time when I'm with the chickens!) she looked like she was trying to poop or something and then before I knew it she got another egg out! This egg was a bit softer than the first one so I used gloves to pick it up. She seems fine and happy as usual but I'm just wondering if I should be worrying? :p

Sorry about the long intro with a long question! But I hope to learn lots from this forum, thanks everyone :)

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
If she's around 5 months old I'm guessing she's a newish layer? New hens often have hiccups in their reproductive system and lay the odd strange egg, soft egg etc. Unless it continues I won't worry about it. There is more info on egg oddities and causes here, if you're interested:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
If she's around 5 months old I'm guessing she's a newish layer? New hens often have hiccups in their reproductive system and lay the odd strange egg, soft egg etc. Unless it continues I won't worry about it. There is more info on egg oddities and causes here, if you're interested:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems
I read the whole thing and it was very informative, thanks a heap for the link :) It's nothing I'm going to worry about :) thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom