Hello - Newbie in Central Florida

Seatrout00

Songster
7 Years
Oct 18, 2012
Melbourne Florida
Hello! While I started investigating getting chickens about 3 years ago, its not actually happening until now - we are working on a coop and chicks will come in January as we are heading out of town for the holidays.

I am completely green, reading as much about keeping chickens as I can, so any advice is much appreciated.

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us and congrats on your plans to start your own flock.

You should visit the learning center - there's a lot of info there to help you get started.

My advice is to build the coop and run larger than you think you need, will save adding on later.

We are making a good size coop - the run is a bit small but they will have my side yard all to themselves - probably about 20 feet by 80 feet - and will have access to the larger backyard as well on occasion.

I have been living in the Learning Center this past month! Reading tons on breeds, health issues, how to build and predator proof your coop and so forth. I don't want to get done and wish I'd done something different - I hate that feeling.

The breeds I am looking at are Barred Rocks and Australorps. I had though to get BR and RIR but folks on the forums sold me on Australorps. I am only planning on purchasing three of each - hoping out of those six chicks, to get four solid hens - giving myself a bit of room as baby chicks often die and sometimes roosters end up in the batch.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. BYC has a lot of members from Florida and one of them, NorthFlChick, posts regularly on this section. X2 on sunflour; if you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom