Hello saw backyardchickens at a local poultry show

welcome-byc.gif
from Texas

I'm not much for blogging or spending time on social media, but Backyard Chickens has been a great source for ideas and information for me. I've always had domestic pets (dogs, cats, guinea pigs, birds, and tropical fish) and it's pretty unique to have my small flock provide breakfast! I never considered owning chickens, but now that I do - I'm hooked! I planned on maybe 5-7 hens, but ended up with 5 laying breeds totalling 17 chickens. They are all standard, heritage breeds: Rhode Island Red, Australorp, Lakenvelder, Black Polish, Golden Polish and Speckled Sussex. Thank you to those whose information and suggestions were so helpful - especially on crookneck, brooding hens and other items that were such great help in keeping my flock healthy and happy!

If anyone is interested - The Michigan Poultry Fanciers is putting on their 2012 Fall Fowl Fest at the Birch Run Expo Center Saturday, October 13th (7:30 am - 5 p.m.) and 1/2 day on Sunday, October 14th (7:30 am - 11:00 am only). Admission is free and it's a great family event where you can see various standard poultry up close and personal (turkeys, chickens, ducks . . .oh my!) visit the sale area, vendor exhibit/sales tables and check out the unique items at the club's raffle table.

Michigan's color season has started; the trees and vegetation are beautiful and will be in peak for folks driving to the Fowl Fest. If you want to enter the competition, adult or junior, the deadline is this week - October 6th. Information on the show, entering your bird(s), awards, and area hotels is available on line at www.Fowlfest . And of course, the area is loaded with retail stores and eateries. This year the Polish Breeders Club, the National Call Duck Breeders Association and the Dominique Club of America are all hosting their national meets at the Fowl Fest!

I've volunteered to help at the show - hope you have the opportunity to stop at the largest poultry show in Michigan!

I'm not much for blogging or spending time on social media, but Backyard Chickens has been a great source for ideas and information for me.  I've always had domestic pets (dogs, cats, guinea pigs, birds, and tropical fish) and it's pretty unique to have my small flock provide breakfast!  I never considered owning chickens, but now that I do - I'm hooked!  I planned on maybe 5-7 hens, but ended up with 5 laying breeds totalling 17 chickens.  They are all standard, heritage breeds: Rhode Island Red, Australorp, Lakenvelder, Black Polish, Golden Polish and Speckled Sussex.  Thank you to those whose information and suggestions were so helpful - especially on crookneck, brooding hens and other items that were such great help in keeping my flock healthy and happy!

If anyone is interested - The Michigan Poultry Fanciers is putting on their 2012 Fall Fowl Fest at the Birch Run Expo Center Saturday, October 13th (7:30 am - 5 p.m.) and 1/2 day on Sunday, October 14th (7:30 am - 11:00 am only).  Admission is free and it's a great family event where you can see various standard poultry up close and personal (turkeys, chickens, ducks . . .oh my!) visit the sale area, vendor exhibit/sales tables and check out the unique items at the club's raffle table. 

Michigan's color season has started; the trees and vegetation are beautiful and will be in peak for folks driving to the Fowl Fest.  If you want to enter the competition, adult or junior, the deadline is this week - October 6th.  Information on the show, entering your bird(s), awards, and area hotels is available on line at www.Fowlfest .  And of course, the area is loaded with retail stores and eateries.  This year the Polish Breeders Club, the National Call Duck Breeders Association and the Dominique Club of America are all hosting their national meets at the Fowl Fest!

I've volunteered to help at the show - hope you have the opportunity to stop at the largest poultry show in Michigan!

Sounds like a lot of fun, wish I lived nearby :) You might try posting about it in the Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups section or on Michigan's state thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/697050/michigan-thread-all-are-welcome

By the way, :welcome

Good gosh - thought for a minute I was looking at a secret web cam of some of my Rodies and my Australorp! Thanks for the welcome. :)

Back
Top Bottom