hello there ;)

josh barrack

Hatching
6 Years
May 7, 2013
scotland
well what can I say, my name is Josh and I have been keeping birds/chickens since I was a young boy, I have kept many exotic and expensive birds from travelling far to buy a few eggs and too keeping a tamed bantam in my home haha we were best of pals I will tell you about that birds story later, anyway I have never thought in keeping rheas until last week so this is a new experience to me, I have bought 2 rhea eggs for a decent price of 15 pounds per egg the idea just came to my head out of no where
thumbsup.gif
so I bought these 2 eggs last week and I am waiting for them to arrive which is hopefully tomorrow, I have done my research and found that they hatch just like chickens, only 1 problamo, I have been searching on numerous sites and they all give me different information about the humidity website tells me its 25 to 45 percent and the other tells me its 60 percent, I don't have a hygrometer in my incubator nor do I tend to put water into it as the humidity at hens need to hatch is already there, so how can I tell how humidity I need to hatch them out? or how much water do I need for them to hatch out?

josh barrack
D.gif

weigh the eggs and track weight loss - it will tell you if you need to increase the humidity or not - IMO shout for 13 -15% weight loss

Last edited:
I can tell you for our ostriches we keep the humidity low low... 15% - 20% at a set tempo range of 97.3F - 97.6F in a Natureform NOM-45. Hatch rate is at a solid 95% so far this season. I've never done Rheas though :)

Back
Top Bottom