Hello Y'all!!

Anbo77

Hatching
Oct 21, 2015
I live in South Texas. My daughter gave me 5 Rhode Island Red Bantam hens for Mother's Day last year and it turns out they were 2 hens and 3 roosters. I had the roosters "caponized" as I wanted to keep them all. Charming didn't make it:( I then had Rosie, Pidgey. Andrew, and Patrick. It turns out that the boys were "half-cocked". I now have two young ones; 11 and 10 weeks old (Nugget and Pip). They all live in a 10x10ft pen with a coop in it. They are out and about in the backyard during the day and roost on the coop at night and the pen is closed. Just over a month ago, in the middle of the night, I heard a commotion and it was a possum!! The chickens were on the ground, the chicks were out in the yard (through the hurricane fence) and the possum was hanging on the back wall of the pen!! So, all the chickens were all put into animal carriers and put in the garage until morning when the possum was gone. The possum had squeezed through a space between the ceiling and the wall of the pen. (It couldn't get back out that way though.) Needless to say, there are no spaces now. I love sitting in the backyard and watching my chickens do their chicken things. They love corn, corn chips, mealworm and nuts. I have three wee dogs and they all get along fine. Rosie will peck us though if she thinks we are bothering her babies! Didn't mean to go on so long!!

Welcome to BYC! Aren't chickens fun - I waste hours a day watching them!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom