Hello

Edwena

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2016
Hi my name is Edwena. I live in Bundaberg Queensland Australia. We have 2 labradors and 5 bantam hens as pets and egg providers ( when they lay).my girls are just 12 mths old. They have just gone through a moult. Didnt lay many eggs. Then we had suppressive heat and humidity. Didnt lay any eggs. Summers here can be endless days of 30 to 40 degrees with very high humidity.
The girls are free range all day and mooch wherever they want to. They dont lay many eggs and dont always lay in their house. 2 of the girls are always sitting in their beds. I have to shoo them out to have a feed and a stretch.
Is it normal for them to spend so much time sitting on nothing???

Hi Edwena and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. It sounds like some of your girls have gone broody - and yep, they'll sit of fresh air! If you type "broody buster" in the search box, a number of links will pop up that should help you to break them from their broodiness.

More generally, you'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your country thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/598568/australia-six-states-and-that-funny-little-island

All the best
CT

G'day and Welcome to Backyard chickens. BYC has a large Aussie community and the thread "Australia, six states and one funny little Island. Hope you will enjoy BYC as much as we do

welcome-byc.gif

Hi Edwena, thanks for joining us! Lots of different things can impact egg laying and you named a few of them: molting, broodiness and breed. And since they free range all day, they may be laying eggs not easily found. Are you providing food other than what they find on their own?

Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here. Enjoy BYC!

Back
Top Bottom