Hello!

katiedoo24

Hatching
Apr 28, 2017
Hi! I am starting a new adventure in backyard chickens this year. We currently have 23. I have a couple questions about what I thought we're black sex link pullets, but I am not almost convinced they are actually barred rock, as all of them have the barred look. How often to feed stores mix up their chicks in their bins? If they truly are sex links, then I got 4 Roos and one hen out of the crew that were supposed to all be pullets. This is one of the ones I'm questioning

Here's a picture of our whole crew before we added six barred rock pullets. 6 Rhode Island reds and 6 leghorns. 5 what are supposed to be black sex links.... still not positive on that

The best thing to do is post individual pictures of the birds you want identified & sexed. It's very difficult to focus when there is a group of birds together, facing different directions, etc. Post photos at "what breed or gender is this." Be sure to mention age at time of photo.
welcome-byc.gif

Hi and welcome to BYC. The chick in the first pic sure looks like a little fella to me.

Was the bin marked "Black sex link" or "black sex link pullets" - this is important as sometimes, even with sex links, they will get in "straight run" chicks (even though they are sexable by sight at hatch) and then it is up to the buyer to know the difference between the males and females. Black sex link males often feather in more like a female barred rock due to the genetics behind them while a true barred rock male is more discernable as they feather in.

They were labeled black sex link pullets on the side of the bin but there was a sign laying next to it on a pile of feed bags that said Plymouth Rock pullets which is what I'm thinking (hoping) they are. Here is a couple more pics I could snag
"Minnie"
"daisy"
"moana"
I did post to the thread about help with sexing but I think I got missed, I'll try again.

G’Day from down under Katiedoo24
frow.gif
Welcome!

I will leave the gender opinions to the experts and just say that I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

Back
Top Bottom