Hello!

ginny_e

Songster
5 Years
Apr 8, 2018
Western Massachusetts
Hi all!

I'm new to the forum and getting ready to receive some chicks in a few weeks!

I've been using this forum and all the experience to help prepare, it's been very useful.

We live in W. Massachusetts with our mixed breed dog, Flemish giant rabbit and two grumpy cockatiels. Other hobbies are gardening, (come on spring!) knitting and other DIY adventures!

I did have some questions about setting up a brooder for 3-4 chicks. I'm pretty paranoid about the heat lamp fire issue, but didn't really want to spend a bunch of $$ since this is a small venture. Any recommendations on heat sources?

Welcome to BYC! Indeed, there’s so many helpful, knowledgeable folks here and I’m sure you’ll find this site a very useful resource.

With regards a heat source, I use the big Premier heat plate and highly recommend it. Here’s a link for the little version. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B018...heat+plate&dpPl=1&dpID=411ifJSG6VL&ref=plSrch
It may seem like a fair outlay but in reality by the time you’ve bought a lamp and paid the electricity to run it for a few weeks I think the heat plate works out cheaper and it’s DEFINITELY safer and more natural. Alternatively @Blooie is the resident expert on the MHP method. I’ve yet to try MHP but I understand it comes highly recommended also. Best of luck with your chicks!

welcome-group.gif

It is great having you here!

The heat plate from premier will pay for itself if you brood two times--Extra cost of the heat lamp is offset by much lower electrical rates.

...time to tell you what most of us have already learned...you will get more chicks

and maybe other animals too

advanced chicken math.jpg

View attachment 1329943

It is great having you here!

The heat plate from premier will pay for itself if you brood two times--Extra cost of the heat lamp is offset by much lower electrical rates.

...time to tell you what most of us have already learned...you will get more chicks

and maybe other animals too

View attachment 1329944

I know there is a really good chance of additional chicks, maybe ducks in the future! I do need to think of the initial cost as an investment, especially of piece of mind. Thanks!

I know there is a really good chance of additional chicks, maybe ducks in the future! I do need to think of the initial cost as an investment, especially of piece of mind. Thanks!
The bulbs burn out often too. That is bad for the chicks and more expense

Back
Top Bottom