1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jennyrose1127, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Jennyrose1127

Jennyrose1127 In the Brooder

Apr 10, 2018
    Middletown, NJ
    Hello there. I’ve come across Backyard Chickens many times over the last year but haven’t joined until today. I had a mixed flock of 10 sweet, beautiful chickens. They were just over a year old when I lost them all to a daytime raccoon attack on March 31. I’m devastated by the loss. Their run is predator proof. They had a 70X30 yard to enjoy during the day with overhead netting to protect them from hawks. We thought raccoons were nocturnal. We love keeping chickens and have already started again with new chicks. We figure we have 8-10 weeks to make the yard safe before they go outside. We will install a hardware cloth apron just like we have on the coop so the raccoons can’t dig under. We don’t know how to keep them from climbing, thinking about electrifying the fence. I’m hoping I can get some advice on this forum.

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Read more Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    :welcome
    :yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
    Jump right in and make yourself at home.

Sorry for your loss. Any and all HUNGRY predators will attack ANY time of day.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Official BYC Coop Page Contest - Fall-Winter 2017

007Sean, Teila, Joeschooks and 2 others like this.
  3. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie LORD OF THE FEED Premium Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    :frowHello.
    Build your housing tough, build it sturdy. Chickens are really low on the food chain. Wildlife doesn't have a Burger King to pick up a meal or 2, they do what they do to survive. Unfortunately, that's where livestock comes into the mix.
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    Welcome to the Yard Bird Site..
    big-grey-welcome-farmer-con.gif

4. featherhead007

featherhead007 Crowing

Feb 2, 2017
    Poplar- Porterville CA.
    Add a gun turret, barbed wire, and put in a mine field while you are at it!... Just kidding,
    Usually, a motion sensor and audible alarm+ red LED lights scare racoons off!:eek:

Teila, Joeschooks and Jennyrose1127 like this.
  5. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around Premium Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    I’m so very sorry to hear of your loss. Welcome to BYC! There’s so many helpful, knowledgeable folks here and I’m sure you’ll find this site a very useful resource. I hope you enjoy it as much as we all do.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 9 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Electrified fencing can change the playing field. Once a raccoon gets zapped, it won't forget. Please check out the predator threads for more advice.

007Sean, Teila and Jennyrose1127 like this.
  7. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Crowing

Feb 22, 2016
    South East England
    My Coop
    :welcome
    It's so nice to meet you :D

007Sean, Teila and Jennyrose1127 like this.
  8. Jennyrose1127

Jennyrose1127 In the Brooder

Apr 10, 2018
    Middletown, NJ
    Thank you for the responses. We will definitely install electric fencing. I will check out the predator threads also. Maybe I can get a motion sensor that makes noise since my issue is raccoons out in broad daylight. Our Great Pyrenees is a great deterrent but, unfortunately, we were away and he wasn’t home when this occurred:(
    I was originally going to let them free range. We made the yard with bird netting because I couldn’t bear the thought of a hawk attack. This was a lesson learned the hard way for sure.

007Sean likes this.
  9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams 5 Years

G'Day from down under Jennyrose.... :frowWelcome!

Chicken Sympathy.jpg

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. This one in particular may be of interest:
    Topic of the Week - Keeping the Flock Safe from Predators

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

You may also be interested in this link:

Jennyrose1127 and 007Sean like this.
  10. 007Sean

007Sean Enabler Premium Member

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy and welcome to BYC. :frow Sorry to hear about your loss. Predator proof, predator proof, predator proof and when you think that's enough, Preadtor proof again.

Jennyrose1127 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: